i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is what Youtuber MKB (Marques Brownlee) has installed in his new Apple Silicon Mac Pro. He doesn't show which NVMe SSDs he has installed but probably bought them from OWC. I looked up what it would cost to use eight 4TB SN850X drives. It does save a lot of money over what you'd pay OWC for their drives of the same capacity. If your hackintosh has PCIe Gen 4 slots you could take advantage of these options to speed up your professional workflow. The target audience is mainly Pro Video editors. If you are simply an average Mac/Hack user, you'd never spend this much just for faster storage.

www.macsales.com

26,000 MB/s speeds when used in a PCIe Gen 4 slot.
Screen Shot 5.jpg

OWC's bundle of Expansion Card and 8 4TB drives will cost you just under $5,000 USD. Before sales tax is calculated.
1688004595113.jpeg

If I bought 8 Gen 4 WD Black NVMe drives from Amazon myself, and the OWC 8M2, the total would be $3,460.31 which includes my local state sales tax. A significant savings ($1500+) over buying NVMe drives from OWC to install into their 8M2 PCIe 4.0 expansion card.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

This would be my total cost for 8 4TB WD SN850X drives. Currently, I need nowhere near this much ultra high speed storage. This is just a mental exercise to see how much you'd save buying your own fast as possible NVMe drives. Many other brands would work too. Some 4TB drives cost much less than these WD drives. They also offer much slower read/write speeds. Most all lower cost NVMe drives have no DRAM on the drive's PCB.

The TEAM MP33 Pro 4TB drives sell for $169 on Amazon. They are Gen 3 drives, not Gen 4.
8 of these drives would cost over $1,100 less than the WD Black drives. They do have a 5 year warranty.

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
Here's MKB with his new PCIe SSD expansion card. He maxed out to 64TB for his 8K video projects. Those files get really big in a hurry. He states that the Apple Si MP was made specifically for people like him. Pro video editors with big budgets.

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Last edited:
Apple charges nearly as much for an 8TB ASi Mac Pro upgrade kit as it would cost to make my own 32TB M.2 NVMe expansion card. Not surprising.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Last edited:
Back