Contribute
Register

Overlocking GA-Z97X with it 4790K Boots Windows not OS X, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Now that the system is stable, it is time to go for the overclock. Unfortunately, everytime I change any CPU multiplier settings in the BIOS the system and try to boot OS X, the system will just reboot after the unibeast loading screen.

The system is dual boot to Windows 10, which does fine with the overlock.

In searching through messages, others have complained about problems overlocking with Yosemite. Is there a timing setting in the kernel that needs changing?

I have been overlocking for years and don't think this is a problem with the settings, it seems to be something between UniBeast and Yosemite. I don't even get the spinning \ | / | just a reboot.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I have a gigabyte board and 4790K as well, running 10.10.5 and Windows 8, and overclock to 4.8 GHz (I can get to 4.9 GHz, but not consistently stable under full load), and a second similar setup with an Asus mobo.

Sounds like you have more OC'ng experience than I do, so not sure I contribute much other than to say I've done it successfully. With the Gigabyte board, the only settings I touched were the CPU multipler, the Vcore and Vring.

Edit - I use clover as a bootloader, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference

I have been setting up and clocking my Yosemite sys in the last couple of days. I found some difficulties with El Capitan so will try later. I have found that although windows will accept some overclocks, Yosemite will just reject and reboot if the settings are too far off. For my rig it was usually VCore voltage too low that would cause a refusal to boot. My chip is not great. The best I could get by multiplier was 45 - VCore 1.30. All settings auto except RAM XMP profile 1.

With Multiplier at 45 and increasing the base clock I could reach 47.5 - This is most likely because my ram is pretty well matched and can take the resulting overclock.
CPU Vcore 1.35
RAM Voltage 1.6
XMP Profile 1
Temps 27~80
Geekbench 20,500
Multibeast 7.5

Hope this helps

• :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back