Contribute
Register

OSX Filesharing - Disable the sharing of volumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of revamping some spare hardware to create a NAS out of OSX. I want to share some directories, and file sharing in OSX is pretty straight forward. Everything has gone pretty smoothly, and it's running 10.13.6.

The problem is - whenever I add a directory and enable File Sharing under OSX, it also seems to automatically share the user's Home Directory, as well as every Volume (the base / file system of the drive) I have mounted. They aren't listed or enabled under File Sharing, so I'm assuming OSX has this behavior enabled by default. This is pretty annoying, as I only want a couple very specific directories shared.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and how to disable it?

Thanks!

Well, it seems this is the default behavior for OSX when you log in as the administrator account. It seems if you make a user with 'Share Only' permissions, then log in remotely as them, then only the shares you share with them are shown.

Really wish there was some better control over doing it this way, but... I guess that may have to do for now.

I'm half tempted to disable built in OSX File Sharing, and attempt to build Samba from source and see if that works. I was also kicking around the idea of messing with the 'OSX Server' that Apple sells, it's only $20, but I'm not sure it will give me any further control than what's already baked into OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back