Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Opencore modified by PC Bios and it will not boot any windows from separate drives - NO dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare- F9i
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was setting up opencore for my new Big Sur installation. At one point it asked, (I don't remember precisely), if I wanted to change the bios so that opencore would boot and prevent windows boot manager from causing issues. I had never heard of regular software changing the pc bios, so I assumed it was something in the EFI folder so I said yes.

I got Big Sur operational and started working on post-install issues.

I have a sata dock so I have all my OS on individual drives with no dual boot. So when I plugged in one of my windows drives, it said starting repair. I tried to repair it but it was unable to do so. I then rebooted, hit F12 and chose the windows boot manager, and once again it said starting repair. I tried 3 other different Windows drives and none of them would work. Something has happened in the PC bios.

I have carefully checked the settings and as I said even if I choose the boot order manually, I get the same result, starting repair.

I am not sure what Opencore could have done to my PC bios, but now I have no windows machine to even work on updating the bios. In addition I am using F9i which is no longer offered so I am not sure if the latest version 9 will break Big Sur or my other mac os drives.

I read through some of the similar threads, which basically said to make changes in my EFI folder, but I never had any of my windows drives installed when I setup Big Sur.

I am not sure where to go from here, any help is appreciated.

Gigabyte Z390 Designare - 32GB Ram - i9-9900k, Radeon VII, 2.5 inch Samsung 870 EVO

OpenCore cannot modify your BIOS but it looks like it changed your BIOS settings.
Try resetting the CMOS and NVRAM.

I am not sure where in the bios to reset nvram. There is no opencore drive installed when I have this issue, its a solitary windows OS install, so no opencore/mac os to make changes to.

I am not sure where in the bios to reset nvram.
The option to do this is usually seen at the OC boot menu. Sometimes you must press the space bar first to see it.

To reset the BIOS settings:

Unplug the power cord, press the power button a few seconds. Next remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for 3-5 minutes. Replace the battery and then the BIOS settings will be back to the defaults.

Seems resetting bios worked for all but one ssd.. weird

Last edited:
my drive does not have opencore.
I don't understand. OpenCore modified your BIOS yet you don't have OpenCore ? How did OC do this ?

I'd suggest you post in the Z390 GB thread to get help. At least put the attached EFI folder on a USB and boot from that.

I don't understand. OpenCore modified your BIOS yet you don't have OpenCore ? How did OC do this ?

I'd suggest you post in the Z390 GB thread to get help. At least put the attached EFI folder on a USB and boot from that.
It was a weird issue but its going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back