Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630, 4K
Hi there,

I prepared a USB boot installer and I want to boot into VerifyMsrE2.efi and modGRUBShell.efi to do some BIOS tweaking. But these tools .efi just don't show up in the OpenCore Boot Menu. I have these efi's added to Misc -> Tools, but just could not figure out or google out why they are not displayed. Any pointers?

The Tools need to be 'Enabled' to show on the Picker list or OC GUI. Screenshot from ProperTree showing the three Tools in this Coffee Lake config.plist, with all three Enabled and visible on the OC boot screen.

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.43.51.png Tools Enabled = True

Thanks much, Edhawk. They are all enabled. The config.plist I copied enables the option of launching OpenCore directly from firmwares/BIOS. Is that the reason?

The Tools need to be 'Enabled' to show on the Picker list or OC GUI. Screenshot from ProperTree showing the three Tools in this Coffee Lake config.plist, with all three Enabled and visible on the OC boot screen.

View attachment 524443 Tools Enabled = True

You need to press the 'Spacebar' when booting your system, so the OC picker or GUI shows, and to enable you to select these tools.

Ah, that's the trick. Only wish I caught it in the OpenCore doc or there is a hint with the OC boot menu.

One funny thing, if I include Canopy driver, only one tool was displayed properly with the tool name. All other tools just showing "Tool". The names are displayed fine if I turn Canopy off.

You need to press the 'Spacebar' when booting your system, so the OC picker or GUI shows, and to enable you to select these tools.

I've not come across that tool naming issue. I use OpenCanopy and the OC GUI on all my builds and when the Tools are enabled, they show with the correct names.

I would check the layout of your config.plist, to make sure there is nothing set incorrectly or in the wrong section of the config.plist. Do a side by side comparison of your config and the Sample.plist that the OC developers issue with each release.

I double checked the Tools section of the config.plist, all tool entries have the same layout. Evan the values are the same except for the "Name" and "Path". I think the config file should be OK because the non GUI boot menu picked up all tool names fine.

I've not come across that tool naming issue. I use OpenCanopy and the OC GUI on all my builds and when the Tools are enabled, they show with the correct names.

I would check the layout of your config.plist, to make sure there is nothing set incorrectly or in the wrong section of the config.plist. Do a side by side comparison of your config and the Sample.plist that the OC developers issue with each release.

OK, must be an issue with the OC GUI not reading the names correctly.

Ah, that's the trick. Only wish I caught it in the OpenCore doc or there is a hint with the OC boot menu.

One funny thing, if I include Canopy driver, only one tool was displayed properly with the tool name. All other tools just showing "Tool". The names are displayed fine if I turn Canopy off.
The spacebar trick is not prominently documented. I found it "in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet in a disused lavatory, with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'"

Here's the entry in the OpenCore Reference Manual.

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 8.39.52 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back