Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

First, thanks for the great forum with thoughtful and complete discussions and tutorials. I'm very new to the hackintosh world, so I'm trying to get up to speed.

I currently have an Abit IP35-Pro, bought a few years ago for my Q6600 (back when it was new...sigh...). I'm using 8GB of (DDR2 800) RAM and an MSI 9600 GT 512 and have been running Win7 in a pretty vanilla way. I'm using a 128 GB Raptor as my boot drive and have 3x 640 GB storage drives.

My main use is Photoshop/Lightroom and I want to switch over to OSX 10.6.4. From what I've read, the IP35-Pro is a big pain. And using the methods here, I get a KP right away. So I think I'm going to need to replace my board, but obviously can't use a P55. I worried about the graphics card, but it seems like it's got some support now. I'd like to keep the upgrade costs as low as possible.

What can you recommend for a straightforward install? I don't need to OC or dual boot or anything like that.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

i

You can't install 10.4 using this method. Go buy yourself a Snow Leopard "Upgrade" DVD (10.6) for 30 bucks, which is actually a complete install DVD.

Your graphics card should work right away when you're using iBoot/MultiBeast.

Boards that should work are:
  • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3, P45
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR, P45
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P, P45

I'm not sure whether you'll need an edited DSDT or not. Wait 'til someone more knowledgable drops by...

Thanks for those boards. I meant to say 10.6.4 but it was a long day :) . I corrected the original.

I have SL on a USB, made with the retail dvd. When I tried the iBoot method on my IP35, it saw the stick, so I think that will work. It's no problem to get the dvd, either.

Thanks again,

i

Nice thinking, inthedistance, I was actually going to recommend the USB boot method!

Did you follow tonymac's guide, or was it another one?

I tried both the iBoot NVIDIA and iBoot Supported cds with the stick, but got nowhere. I also tried the iHack method.

It seems like everybody running SL got there by upgrading from 10.5 -- a process that is just too long and complicated to be worth it. If I can get a new P45 board for under a hundred bucks, that seems like a better deal.

Another question is about my RAM. I've got 4x 2GB sticks of DDR2 800. Newegg lists several current P45 boards where some say they support 800 hz RAM but others give only higher numbers. Will the 1600/1200/1033 boards also accept my 800 sticks, even if it's not explicitly stated?

inthedistance said:
If I can get a new P45 board for under a hundred bucks, that seems like a better deal.

Here you go :D :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372

inthedistance said:
Another question is about my RAM. I've got 4x 2GB sticks of DDR2 800. Newegg lists several current P45 boards where some say they support 800 hz RAM but others give only higher numbers. Will the 1600/1200/1033 boards also accept my 800 sticks, even if it's not explicitly stated?

DDR2 800 should work fine. Maybe requires a few BIOS changes (at max), but the board should automatically detect it and run at 800 MHz.

inthedistance said:
One final (I think) question: Using this board, should I go with the iBoot Supported or iBoot NVIDIA?

Thanks,
i

What I would do is try the latest one (which is iBoot supported, right). If that doesn't work, back it to NVidia. If that doesn't work, use the USB boot method (which I actually prefer over iBoot).

Just a belated followup after finally making the leap last night. I had a couple issues that I resolved, and now have another that leaves me somewhat stuck. Hopefully this info will also be of use to someone later.

I set up the board and configured the bios then booted with my USB stick plugged in. After getting to the bootloader stage with the iBoot Supported disc, running the USB stick just left me with just a blank screen and the tonymac logo. If I took the iBoot cd out and then ran the USB, I got an "EBIOS read error: Error 0xbb Block 0xae Sectors 0" error. The forums pointed me to then typing "EHCIacquire=No UHCIreset=No" at the bootloader screen, but that got me a Kernel Panic ("Version mismatch between kernel and CPU PM").

I then tried the iBoot Nvidia disc and repeated the EHCI/UHCI line (with the disc left in) and it loaded straight away and I proceeded all the way through to the 10.6.4 update and Multibeast.

Here's the problem. In Multibeast, I selected what I thought to be the correct items, then took the iBoot disc out and restarted. It hangs right after "Verifying DMI pool data....". I changed nothing in the bios, and any further tweaks don't get me anywhere. When I go back to booting from the iBoot disc, I can load my Snow Leopard just fine, and that's where I'm typing this from.

Any thoughts? Do I need to erase my /Extras and start over with Multibeast? What might have I done wrong or missed?

I'm very close to a successful end, but there's probably just one more piece missing. Many thanks!

Shot in the dark... but did you ever get it working?
i'm having the same problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back