Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I got a prime95 and IntelBurnTest stable OC on my i5 2500k at 4.5GHz at 1.35v, no ram OC, disabled turbo and real-time OS changes (AWARD BIOS) on my GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3

That was on a windows 8 drive. My main drive is OS X 10.9.2

When I look at "About This Mac" I see Processor: 3.31GHz Intel Core i5

After some research, I found maybe I should use Chameleon Wizard to enable "Generate P-States" and "Generate C-States" under CPU section of org.chameleon.boot

I also enabled USB Bus Fix because the 3.0 ports are not usable even as 2.0 ports on the rear IO in OSX. I don't think this would have broken it.

I got it to crash on boot once, froze on some kernel stuff after apple logo and went to black screen with write writing and froze while generating the log text on screen. So I force-restarted it, entered BIOS, and it told me that I had an OC problem. I set it back to what I thought would work, 4.5 at forced 1.35v (instead of Normal, and then +.05v underneath) and it booted fine now. But I still see 3.3GHz on About This Mac!

What gives?

Found this

From my experience the only thing that keeps osx from recognizing your overclock is EIST being enabled.

Going to try it now, but I'm not optimistic... I will check geekbench before and after to see what happens.

Update: it did absolutely nothing.

I disabled all the things in the BIOS that were mentioned in other threads. It seems like it is not a BIOS issue that is preventing OSX from seeing my CPU multiplier, but rather something in OSX that is setting the multiplier and overriding the BIOS.

Is this possible?

Installing Intel Power Gadget allows you to monitor actual clockspeeds. About mac clockspeeds are based off values in a file, you can edit these. Couldn't tell you which as I use clover config gui to set it there. When I run geekbench and watch the intel power gadget I can see my full overclock working, even though about mac is showing the default clockspeed for the macmodel i have set in my smbios.

Installing Intel Power Gadget allows you to monitor actual clockspeeds. About mac clockspeeds are based off values in a file, you can edit these. Couldn't tell you which as I use clover config gui to set it there. When I run geekbench and watch the intel power gadget I can see my full overclock working, even though about mac is showing the default clockspeed for the macmodel i have set in my smbios.

Wow, it even has a temp gauge (I'm assuming for package temp?)

This is fantastic, and should be in a sticky in this subforum!! Maybe I'm just late to the party. I actually gave up and put my BIOS back to stock since posting because I thought it was not doing anything except making my system sometimes unstable! If only the demo of GB3 would give a limited number of 64bit checks...

Hey there

just thought Id let you know, enabling P States in Clover Configurator made my OC show up in Intel Tool and HWMonitor - without it, i wasn't getting my OC speed at all. And after enabling it, my Geekbench score went up too.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back