i7-13700K
Graphics
2x RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi! I'm currently using a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus as the main drive for my Hackintosh. Since Monteray the trim delay on every boot is ~8+ minutes. I want to replace it with a new NVMe drive and keep the Samsung as a secondary for storage only. I'm between the following options but unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any info related to trim time, so I'm asking the community if maybe someone has experience with those drives and could let me know if there is an incompatibility issue.

1st option: 2TB Patriot VPN100 with 3400MB/s Read and 3200MB/s Write speeds.
2nd option: 2TB Adata XPG Gammix S11 Pro with 3500MB/s Read and 3000MB/s Write speeds.
3rd option: 2TB Western Digital Green SN350 with 3200MB/s Read and 3000MB/s Write speeds.

All three have the same price in my local store, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

wow, thanks a lot! Indeed that is the best choice and the price is the same as my first option!

One more question, since I run out of M.2 slots on my motherboard, I'm planning to purchase RAIDSONIC ICY BOX IB-PCI208-HS, I wonder, since the card will be installed in PCIE x4 slot, which has ~4GB/s throughput and 8GT/s transfer rate on PCIe v3, will it have any negative performance impact if I use it as my main drive so I won't have to swap places between the drives that are already installed?

I hope I made myself clear... thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the card will be installed in PCIE x4 slot, which has ~4GB/s throughput and 8GT/s transfer rate on PCIe v3, will it have any negative performance impact if I use it as my main drive so I won't have to swap places between the drives that are already installed?
I would ask other Gigabyte Z390 owners how the PCIe lanes get divided up between slots. Make sure to check your motherboard manual for the specifics.

Last edited:
I got my WD drive and the extension card today, I also got a separate heat sync for the NVme, everything worked great! To my surprise, the cheap Asaka heat sync I got worked better than the included heat sync of the motherboard, with the motherboard's heat sync I was ~62ºC and with the asaka I was ~54ºC for the same task at the same period of testing time.

Thanks @trs96 for suggesting me the drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back