Contribute
Register

[Solved] Not able to install (not even reaching installer menue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
2x Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,
I hope you've an idea for me, because I don't know what to do.

I've been using Hackintosh for a long time now. My current installation has been High sierra and now I wanted to upgrade to Mojave.

As usual I followed Tony's guide to create my install usb, but this time it doesn't work as expected.

I'm able to boot to clover and select „Install Mojave“. But before the language selector appears, the screen switches to black and that's it.

When I try safe mode, it crashes even earlier.

I attached a picture of the last thing I see before it turns black.

I'm thankful for every hint.

Attachments

• 31C736E0-4786-4BCB-8C4A-107140F3C595.png
    31C736E0-4786-4BCB-8C4A-107140F3C595.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Unfortunately that's not an option, since my internal graphics do not work. I've been using PCIE from the beginning, so I've never noticed that.

I don't know if that's helpful, but I tried to reinstall with High Sierra, which worked perfectly. Afterwards I tried to update to 10.13.6 which looked good at the beginnig. But aproximately 60% through the installation progress, my screen turned black.

The process was still running, so the machine did a reboot. I was able to choose "...Install on..." in Clover.

Since I knew that the setup was just invisible but still in progress I waited for at least an hour, before I pushed reset.

Now Clover didn't show "...Install on..." anymore, which means that the installation was successful. When I select macOS, the loading starts until it ends at almost the same point and in the same way, the Mojave progress ends...in the dark.

Is there anyone out there with the same graphics card I have who has been able to install Mojave or at least the current HS update successfully?

Finally there's progress!

Since nothing worked so far, I went a step back and started trying to find out, what's wrong with my IGFX.
Situation so far: although I had enabled the HD4000 and set the init to IGFX, I wasn't able to get a picture. Screen remained black no matter what I tried. And I don't mean just black but no signal at all.

Just for curiosity I booted Windows to see if it works there. But...nothing! At least an unknown video device was recognized in the device manager. So I searched for new drivers and installed the HD4000 software. And suddenly it worked. Not only under Windows, but also during boot, in bios...makes no sense to me, since drivers have nothing to do outside the os, but now I had the chance to run the installer again.

Finally I made it to the language selector. I was able to erase the SSD, install and boot Mojave.

Now that I'm logged in I have the primary desktop running 1600x1200 with the HD4000 while the secondary is in full hd with the Radeon. About this Mac has just 'Display 7 MB' listed, but the systeminfo says AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB.

So far, so good. This is where it becomes (even more) strange.

First of all I'm only able to reach the login screen by booting in safe mode. If I don't do so, I end up at 'IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0'.

When I change the bios init from IGFX back to PCI the system boots directly to Clover. But no matter if I choose safe mode or not, I'm not able to reach the login screen, since the black screen is back just nanoseconds before the login would appear.

If I switch back to init IGFX first, I don't even get to Clover, but to a black screen with a blinking cursor on the upper left. I have to boot Clover from USB, to choose safe mode and be at least able to log in, once again having both desktops working independently perfect.

This doesn't make sense for me either. Why does the init first setting in bios affect Clover?

What I want to achieve is to deactivate the IGFX again and be able to boot Mojave without safe mode.

Any ideas?

Finally there's progress!

Since nothing worked so far, I went a step back and started trying to find out, what's wrong with my IGFX.
Situation so far: although I had enabled the HD4000 and set the init to IGFX, I wasn't able to get a picture. Screen remained black no matter what I tried. And I don't mean just black but no signal at all.

Just for curiosity I booted Windows to see if it works there. But...nothing! At least an unknown video device was recognized in the device manager. So I searched for new drivers and installed the HD4000 software. And suddenly it worked. Not only under Windows, but also during boot, in bios...makes no sense to me, since drivers have nothing to do outside the os, but now I had the chance to run the installer again.

Finally I made it to the language selector. I was able to erase the SSD, install and boot Mojave.

Now that I'm logged in I have the primary desktop running 1600x1200 with the HD4000 while the secondary is in full hd with the Radeon. About this Mac has just 'Display 7 MB' listed, but the systeminfo says AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB.

So far, so good. This is where it becomes (even more) strange.

First of all I'm only able to reach the login screen by booting in safe mode. If I don't do so, I end up at 'IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0'.

When I change the bios init from IGFX back to PCI the system boots directly to Clover. But no matter if I choose safe mode or not, I'm not able to reach the login screen, since the black screen is back just nanoseconds before the login would appear.

If I switch back to init IGFX first, I don't even get to Clover, but to a black screen with a blinking cursor on the upper left. I have to boot Clover from USB, to choose safe mode and be at least able to log in, once again having both desktops working independently perfect.

This doesn't make sense for me either. Why does the init first setting in bios affect Clover?

What I want to achieve is to deactivate the IGFX again and be able to boot Mojave without safe mode.

Any ideas?

• I have a Similar System as you can see from my Personal Details: I am running macOS Mojave 10.14.(18A391) along with , macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Windows 10 Pro 64.Bit and Ubuntu 18.04 Linux from separate Hard disks using Intel HD 4000.
  • To have all the problems you encountered you must have made errors in your BIOS setup and CLOVER neither of which you had shared with the readers of your post to get help.

• Do yo know you can actually share your BIOS choices with the readers of your post to show them what you are talking about and what you have not mentioned in your post?
  • Taking BIOS screen shots in Gigabyte Motherboard is quite easy as it can record and save BMP images of each screen you are viewing automatically, provided you have a Flash drive formatted with FAT32 inserted when you are at the BIOS and press the F12 Key to invoke Screen Capture and Save.
  • The Flash drive will be readied after you press F12 (may take unto 20-40 seconds at times) and a prompt will appear with "OK" to hit [ENTER] key to save that image on that Flash drive's Fat Formatted space, and then move to the next screens in sequence.
  • The good thing is that your macOS XX Installer Flash drive has an EFI Partition formatted in FAT.
  • That EFI partition's EFI Folder has the CLOVER Folder-File Structure.
  • Even with the EFI Folder, there is plenty of Blank space in that EFI Partition to save all the Screen shots from BIOS in BMP extension.
  • The only small problem is that to view the images from Hidden EFI Partition , you have to Mount EFI on a Mac/Hack using EFI Mounter Download Now 33.4 KB .zip /Clover Configurator Global Clover Configurator (Global Edition) or Terminal commands, whichever you feel comfortable using.
  • Since BMP cannot be uploaded to this Forum you may need to open it using Preview and Export.. ( if necessary after editing using Preview Tools/Annotate etc ) as .png.
  • While viewing and editing BIOS images, you also get a chance to view and compress CLOVER as zipped file to upload to the Forum.

I know that, I just wasn't thinking that it could have something to do with my BIOS settings, since they haven't changed recently and they've been good with everything from everything from Mavericks to High Sierra < 10.13.6 and even beyond, as long as I don't use the Radeon but the IGFX only.

But I'm going to post this information once I'm back home from work.

Good morning. Here's a quick update on what I've been able to achieve so far.

Since the last update I tried a bazillion things, but none of them worked. Therefore I decided to start from scratch, in the hope that there's been just one step I made wrong during the first installation.

So, I completely removed my PEG, booted from USB and did a clean install of Mojave, just using the IGFX. I was able to add all the kexts I need for my board, install Clover and so on. At the end of the day I had a perfectly working Hackintosh with just one exception: about this mac didn't show HD4000 with 1GB, but just video 7 MB instead. Since everything worked flawless anyway and in 1080p, I decided to ignore that.

Then I reinstalled the PEG. Guess what? I didn't work again.

• PEG only: black screen shortly before the login screen (seems to me, that's the moment the graphics are initialized)
  • IGFX + PEG (init IGFX first): the bootup stucks at 'IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0'
  • IGFX + PEG (init IGFX first, safe mode): macOS works, shows me 2 graphics cards, video 7 MB and Radeon HD7xxx 3 GB, both screens (I have only one monitor, but can switch between the sources since both cards are connected) working perfectly
  • IGFX + PEG (init PEG first): black screen, no matter if safe mode or not
  • IGFX only: works
The new observation I was able to do is, that while using the second configuration, the primary screen (fired by the IGFX) stucks at the forementioned IOConsoleUsers, but at the same time I can see the Mojave wallpaper and a functioning mouse cursor on the second one (PEG). I can even move the mouse to the primary screen, although not visible there, and click (second screen flashes when you click an invalid position). Ultimately I was even able to blind click on my user button (second screen wallpaper switches to dark mode).

So, that's the current state of things. I'll try to play around a bit more with whatevergreen and lilu, hopefully it's going to help.

I guess I finally cracked it!

First thing I have to say is, that maybe the HD7950 maybe supported OOB, but my specific card (although the id is listed in AMD7000Controller.kext) doesn't work. I do need lilu and whatevergreen.

The problem is, that before these kexts can help, you first have to remove the built in AMD/ATI kexts from S/L/E. After I've done that, the systems runs. Well, at least 10.13.6 does, since I was so frustrated that I went back to HS. I'm quite sure that since the problems started with the latest HS update and now it works, Mojave is going to work too with this solution. Since HS is working flawless so far, I'm not going to try another update. Maybe some day, but not now.

The only remaining problem ist now, that about this Mac shows an HD8950 instead of HD7950 and instead of 3072MB it just shows 7 MB. I don't know if this is the reason I also have graphical glitches, but I hope I'll find a solution for that too.

I guess I finally cracked it!

First thing I have to say is, that maybe the HD7950 maybe supported OOB, but my specific card (although the id is listed in AMD7000Controller.kext) doesn't work. I do need lilu and whatevergreen.

The problem is, that before these kexts can help, you first have to remove the built in AMD/ATI kexts from S/L/E. After I've done that, the systems runs. Well, at least 10.13.6 does, since I was so frustrated that I went back to HS. I'm quite sure that since the problems started with the latest HS update and now it works, Mojave is going to work too with this solution. Since HS is working flawless so far, I'm not going to try another update. Maybe some day, but not now.

The only remaining problem ist now, that about this Mac shows an HD8950 instead of HD7950 and instead of 3072MB it just shows 7 MB. I don't know if this is the reason I also have graphical glitches, but I hope I'll find a solution for that too.

By removing all the AMD kexts you have removed the acceleration. Check IORegister Explorer you are probably on default Display drivers.
After an install did you try disabling the internal graphics in bios? Try a fresh install and don’t remove those kexts just disable the igpu and test.

I never used the internal graphics. After updating to 10.13.6 or to install Mojave I had to enable it, because with my 7950 only it didn't work, as you can see in the above posts. I thought lilu and whatevergreen are a replacement for the built in drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back