Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P6X58D-E
CPU
X5650 @ 4.1 Ghz
Graphics
1060 3GB
[Success!] (560 ti, P6X58D-E, ML)

I finally got HDMI audio to work. Thanks for the guide, Toleda!

Is there any way to control the volume? Mac OS doesn't let me when I run the audio through HDMI.

As stated in the most recent guides if you read through carefully HDMI audio is controlled from whatever device it is going through.

For example my setup has an analog audio receiver with HDMI input/output. My setup is Computer > Receiver > HDMI port on my monitor. The receiver has to be correctly configured but it works very well in Windows; I haven't had much luck personally getting HDMI audio working with Lion but with the release of Mountain Lion I am planning to give it another go. If I wanted to control the audio in OS X (assuming I had it working right) I would use the knob on my receiver or more conveniently use the remote.

This is an OS X thing; Windows will allow volume control when you use HDMI audio. Maybe future OS X releases will update support for HDMI audio and allow volume control; for now we have to use the device it's going through.

-Jacob

This is an OS X thing; Windows will allow volume control when you use HDMI audio. Maybe future OS X releases will update support for HDMI audio and allow volume control; for now we have to use the device it's going through.
For Dolby Digital and DTS encoded digital audio, OS X and Windows behave exactly the same. Both provide a binary passthrough from the source to the selected audio output device. Volume control is not available in either OS. The connected SPDIF and/or HDMI device (receiver/TV/etc) decodes the audio stream, makes sound and provides the user controls. One distinction, Windows can "mute" DD/DTS and OS X cannot.

The feature Windows calls "digital audio" is LPCM. DD/DTS source is converted to LPCM in Windows. LPCM allows some user controls such as volume and balance. Is LPCM digital audio? yes. Is LPCM the same as DD/DTS, no. Does LPCM sound the same as DD/DTS? Some people think they can tell the difference while others say they can't.

The discussion is simple. If you want DD/DTS to display on your receiver, you can only control volume with the receiver no matter what the player is. If you don't care where the decoding takes place and want local volume control, the choice is "digital audio" in Windows or analog stereo in OS X.

With lossless HD audio, HDCP, ACCS and other considerations, it unlikely OS X will ever include the decoders necessary for HDMI volume control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back