Contribute
Register

No clover after windows 10 re install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no luck replacing the boot63.efi file, as in nothing has changed at all by replacing it.

Would I not be able to boot clover through an external usb stick?

THanks

@VBV90

Just in case you never got to bottom of your clover vs Windows mishap I came across this tip from another thread...

BIOS may only recognize the Windows boot loader if the EFI partition of the drive contains both OpenCore...

...or Clover...

...and Windows boot loaders. If the EFI partition of the drive contains both EFI/OC and EFI/Microsoft folders, then BIOS might only recognize Microsoft

If you mess with EFI/MICROSOFT you will lose boot to Windows, so copy your clover EFI to another drive's EFI and see if it will boot your legacy macos install.

@c-o-pr Thankss, this helped.

There was a Clover folder in the windows drive EFI partition and I deleted that.
And I copied the Clover folder into the other SSD I have and after that I was able to see the OS as a bootable option in the menu and it goes in Clover and then I can select MAC without issue like before.

Took me while, but everything seems to work like before...

Could you recommend me what is the best way/software for me to make a backup of both my windows and mac drives so I do not need to reinstall next time I run into problems?

Best wishes,

VB

Now that you're familiar with basic nature of EFI Service Partition, you can set aside a copy of your Clover EFI. The tools you need to work with ESP are present in every system.

If your Clover EFI was in the ESP for the Windows drive, then don't do that, keep it in the Mac drive ESP.

If Windows Recovery reached into the ESP in another drive, when/how does this happens? Sounds unlikely, but maybe NVRAM state comes into play in some subtle way for Windows Recovery? Idk.

Obviously if you disconnect Mac drive then Windows Recovery can't pollute it.

As to backups, the problem you had is beyond the scope of any OS-level backup tools. You have to learn the approach to multi-boot config mgmt that fits your config and be aware of edges between BIOS, EFI and OS.

- Doctor! It hurts when I do this.
- Don't do that.
- Will I be able to play the piano after I recover?
- I don't see why not...
- Great, I couldn't play the piano before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back