I7 6700K
Graphics
2 x EVGA 980GTX Ti SLi
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Dear Fellow Forum Members,

Back in June 2015 i setup my first Hackintosh on my new rig and it has been running perfectly ever since.
I am running OSX Yosemite on one SSD and Win7 Home Premium (for gaming- i make games) on another.

Unfortunately i contracted a small virus on my Win7 partition and had to do a reinstall. That went fine and windows is working as expected, however i am now facing all kinds of strange errors and boot issues with the OSX drive.

For example the majority of my apps no longer launch, and im presented with the error that "another instance is already running", or when i boot i get an "Unapproved caller may only be invoked by Apple" error (though thats easily fixed by doing a reboot).

One thing to note is that before I reinstalled Win7, my Samsung SSD that holds OSX was showing as DISK0 in windows. This has now changed to DISK5 in windows and i dont know how to change it back to 0. Could this be the reason why things are working erratically? Or do they not have any influence on the mac O/S?

Any suggestions would be massively helpful... it took me an age to get OSX working with all my hardware and i'm not looking forward to going through the whole process again. Thanks in advanced.

Update to the above.

It would seem whatever has happened has affected my user accoubt settings in OSX. I am unable to do pretty much anything on the hackintosh, tho it does boot and i can access the desktop.

Once there however, im hounded by error messages that say "cant access the system" or "another instance is running" so control in practically non_existent.

I've also noticed that my Win7 HDD is showing in the devices panel on the OSX sidebar, whereas before it wasn't, nor was it accessible. I'm amazed that i was even able to read from the drive in OSX and even drag off an item onto OSX desktop!?!?? I will confirm shortly what the Win7 device partition format is... im assuming i made a mistake and formatted as FAT.

Seriously considering a reinstall, question is... Will it be straightforward that ill have it up n running in time for my clients tomorrow.

What would be the safest option for reinstall anyone?

Win7 Drive is NTFS formatted?

Win7 HDD is actually NTFS, so how i have been able to access and pull data off of it from within OSX, is completely beyond me.

Win7 HDD is actually NTFS, so how i have been able to access and pull data off of it from within OSX, is completely beyond me.

OS X is capable of reading NTFS, but not capable of writing to NTFS natively. There is a script that used to enable write in 10.6, but not sure if it would work in anything later. So, if you want to write to NTFS you need a 3rd party app like Paragon.

OS X is capable of reading NTFS, but not capable of writing to NTFS natively. There is a script that used to enable write in 10.6, but not sure if it would work in anything later. So, if you want to write to NTFS you need a 3rd party app like Paragon.

OK thanks for clearing that up!

If anyone can guide me how to resolve any of the questions that actually matter, that would be awesome.

Another update: i've discovered that the main admin account in OSX was changed for some reason to the name of my Win7 computer. I have managed to change it back and that has resulted in some restoration of my apps, such as Skype and Calendar are actually opening now.

However i am still unable to use my desktop. If i try to move anything onto it i get an error
Thanks in advanced.

If anyone can guide me how to resolve any of the questions that actually matter, that would be awesome.

Another update: i've discovered that the main admin account in OSX was changed for some reason to the name of my Win7 computer. I have managed to change it back and that has resulted in some restoration of my apps, such as Skype and Calendar are actually opening now.

However i am still unable to use my desktop. If i try to move anything onto it i get an error
Thanks in advanced.

Separate SSDs are recommended. Only SSD currently being installed to should be connected.
Do you have TM backups of OS X or a clone of your working OS X from before you re-installed Win7?

Separate SSDs are recommended. Only SSD currently being installed to should be connected.
Do you have TM backups of OS X or a clone of your working OS X from before you re-installed Win7?

I am using separate SSD's for both Win7 and OSX Yosemite. I did make a backup via SuperDupa back in April 2015 when i first got the thing working, the problem i face however is i am unable to restore it to the said SSD as its currently the boot drive with the OS on it.

I spent a chunk of time making a boot USB key and set the startup disk to it, but for whatever reason, OSX always boots to the deault (faulty) drive. I think it may be somethign to do with the chameleon bootloader bypassing my startup disk request.

When you mention only SSD being installed to should be connected.. how would that work in booting to my new USB boot drive and then having SuperDupa referencing an image that's stored on the faulty drive to restore it?

When you mention only SSD being installed to should be connected.. how would that work in booting to my new USB boot drive and then having SuperDupa referencing an image that's stored on the faulty drive to restore it?
Talking about disconnecting OS X drive when installing Windows and vice versa. Also, disconnecting any storage drives, especially when installing Windows. Windows installer has annoying habit of putting files on different drive than the one you are installing on.

Oh right... Well i'll make a note and be sure to do so in future. But now i've screwed up the osx install, is there any way to resolve it? I've had a terrible day trying to use my pc... Provided i can last til the weekend, i'll likely reinstall OSX.

Thanks Baldy... Im going bald too... Ain't it a b###h! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back