NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all,

I have a Windows 8 PC that (ideally) I'd like to use to dual boot OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. This is the latest version I have a disk for, but I could go out and buy Mountain Lion if necessary,

Anyway, here's my system:

-Gigabyte B75M-D3V Mobo
-Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 3470 CPU
-8GB of GSkill DDR3 RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
-Western Digital WD1001FALS-00E3AO 1TB Hard drive

My ideal setup is having the drive split in half between OS X and Windows, with the OS X partition for work/general use and the Windows partition exclusively for games. Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Best to go with Mountain Lion for an Ivy Bridge CPU. Your B75M will work just fine. I have a similar build which you can find in my sig. Not sure about the 550Ti. Check the forums for more info.

If this is your first time hackintoshing then I suggest you do the OS X installation on a clean HD. If you have data on the 1TB, back it up or use another HD. Don't think about dual boot till you get OS X up & running. Dualboot is fairly straightforward. I did dual-boot for my Zomac build, I noted down the steps in that thread.

Hey all,

I have a Windows 8 PC that (ideally) I'd like to use to dual boot OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. This is the latest version I have a disk for, but I could go out and buy Mountain Lion if necessary,

Anyway, here's my system:

-Gigabyte B75M-D3V Mobo
-Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 3470 CPU
-8GB of GSkill DDR3 RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
-Western Digital WD1001FALS-00E3AO 1TB Hard drive

My ideal setup is having the drive split in half between OS X and Windows, with the OS X partition for work/general use and the Windows partition exclusively for games. Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

The 550Ti may have problems in Mountain Lion : http://www.tonymacx86.com/127-nvidi...-630-graphics-cards-issues-mountain-lion.html

You may need to search for possible solutions. Otherwise your system is fine.

Hey guys, thanks very much for the advice.

After struggling with it most of yesterday, I have 10.8.2 Mountain Lion up and running!

I have just two problems:

-No USB 3.0
-Sleep/Wake doesn't work

Now from reading around, I was under the impression that this was an either or scenario- that is, usually if you get USB 3.0 to work you lose sleep. That'd be fine by me, I can live without sleep if I can get my external USB 3.0 hard drive to read.

My tower has a total of four USB 3.0 ports. The two on the motherboard aren't working AT ALL. This is with all the USB fixes enabled using Chameleon Helper. I have two more via a PCI card that are working with USB 2.0 devices, but aren't mounting my 3.0 drive AT ALL.

The drive does mount when plugged into a USB 2.0 port however.

Any ideas how to fix this? Once I can read that drive, I'm happy as a clam.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Installed this http://www.tonymacx86.com/apple-news-rumors/59356-lacie-usb-3-0-mountain-lion.html Lacie driver and now it's working perfectly! I'll post my build in the appropriate forum later today and hopefully pay it forward. This site has been incredibly helpful. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back