Contribute
Register

New Fusion Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this video on YouTube that shows you how to make your own Fusion Drive setup, step by step. I can confirm that it is tested and working on my MacBook Pro. My next step is to try it with a Customac.

[video=youtube;I_odnNpv-FQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_odnNpv-FQ[/video]

I found this video on YouTube that shows you how to make your own Fusion Drive setup, step by step. I can confirm that it is tested and working on my MacBook Pro. My next step is to try it with a Customac.

Thanks for sharing the video. :thumbup:

so do you think we could use this fusion drive with a ssd and hdd in our builds !? Is it just software so I ll also be able to use this with a macbook pro ssd and hdd in a caddy ?

That is precisely what I did with an SSD in the normal HDD bay and an HDD in the optical bay, and it works great. Speed is much better than that of just an HDD, and boot speed is crazy fast.

Former Hackintosh user, now a legit Mac Mini user.

Just wanted to say I'm eagerly awaiting you guys figuring out how to enable Fusion Drive on hardware that doesn't officially support it. I'd love to turn my Mac Mini's SSD + HD configuration into a home brewed Fusion Drive.

It already works great on legit Mac hardware. Follow the tutorial in the video above. I'll put it in the bottom of my post.

Hi all,

I've been reading as much as I can on this topic: not only here at TonyMacX86, but also the Ars Technica article and of course the JollyJinx articles.

During all this reading I've come to the conclusion that speculation about what CoreStorage is doing is often based on other people's speculation and there have been a few "facts" presented which are in fact not authoritatively sourced (that I could find).

Does anyone know for a fact these assertions that I've read (I don't recall where now for each "fact", but these have been accumulating in my mind as needed evidence):

**ASSERTION 1: CoreStorage needs to know if one of the disks is SSD (via SMART via SATA) in order for Fusion to work**
This comes from the JollyJinx article where he states that he used a SATA connection so that CS could figure out there is an SSD there, but he doesn't state that it must know this in order for the Fusion Drive to work. Personally, I think Apple would have been rather short-sighted to require a particular technology or another to do something, I mean, why not just measure the performance of each physical disk in the set and if there is any large-enough disparity in READ performance, then do the Fusion thing.

**ASSERTION 2: Fusion will only work with 2 drives, no more**
Has anyone actually tried this? I would, but I only have a single extra physical disk lying around, let alone 3. If more than 2 drives are possible, and each have a different performance rating, will Fusion Drive allocate files to each accordingly?

**ASSERTION 3: PowerNap will not work with Fusion since PowerNap is disabled when there is a HDD**
This also seems rather silly to me. Sure, I understand that it takes too much power to fire up the old platter, but a Fusion drive has 4GB of "cache" that is written to first anyway, so, when power-napping, all the writes could happily go to the Fusion drive, then when there is power, these would be written to the HDD if required. Even the largest updates from Apple are smaller than 4GBs and most won't be applied until the user authorises it anyway. In fact, the more I think about it, I think Fusion Drive could be a way to bring PowerNap to more users.

**ASSERTION 4: System files always remain on the SSD**
I've seen people tossing this around based on something Phil said in the keynote, which was specifically: "The operating system entirely fits on that flash so we keep it there for maximum system performance. In fact all the software that comes preinstalled on your iMac fits in flash", he then goes on to make the case that if you don't use some of these programs (iMovie and iPhoto he specifies), they will get moved to HDD. Based on Phil's words, it should be the case that the core OS remains on the SSD, but utilities and programs could easily get moved to the HDD. So the big question is, how would this restriction be made? Does writing/updating system files mark a special flag on their blocks somehow? I speculate that in fact, this isn't happening at all, and that "system files" simply stay on the SSD simply because they are accessed frequently and thus remain there for the same reason any other frequently accessed file would. However, it would be nice if we have some authoritative source here (besides Phil Schiller in a keynote =).

It would be pretty sweet if there *was* some sort of mechanism to keep certain files on certain disks based on a policy though (and I hope my above speculation is wrong) because, in theory, Apple could conceivably allow the system to boot up (into Safe Mode, perhaps) even when the HDD fails, if it can keep the OS "locked" to the SSD. On the other hand, if such a policy-based mechanism exists, I am sure that some application developers will figure out how to exploit it so that their apps stay on the SSD so that they perform their best, which of course would defeat the purpose of Fusion Drive.

Anyway, anyone know any of these for sure?

I put 2 Crucial M4 64 GB SSDs in my Customac, as well as a 250 GB HDD. I used the Core Storage commands to make the "Fusion Drive" with all 3 disks no problem. I was able to install OS X with Unibeast and I am in the OS now. The first thing I did was install BlackMagic Disk Speed Test, and it is pulling write speeds around 105 MB/s and read speeds around 500 MB/s. So to answer ASSERTION 2, it will work with more than 2 drives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_odnNpv-FQ

What options are you selecting in Clover? Version 800?

I put 2 Crucial M4 64 GB SSDs in my Customac, as well as a 250 GB HDD. I used the Core Storage commands to make the "Fusion Drive" with all 3 disks no problem. I was able to install OS X with Unibeast and I am in the OS now. The first thing I did was install BlackMagic Disk Speed Test, and it is pulling write speeds around 105 MB/s and read speeds around 500 MB/s. So to answer ASSERTION 2, it will work with more than 2 drives.

Not sure what benefit 2 SSD's plus the HDD would be aside from that much more storage. I'd be curious if you could soft-stripe the SSD's together then create a LVG with the array and the HDD. I don't have any spare SSD's to play with but might be able to scare up a matched pair of HDD's just to do a proof on concept and see if an array can be added to a LVG.

I just purchased a Samsung 128GB SSD for $69 on Tigerdirect. They had a killer deal and sold out very quickly. I am already using a 1TB Hitachi HDD and would like to try this fusion drive technology. From what I have read though, it does not work with Chimera yet correct? I would have to change my boot loader to Clover V2?

Found this, if accurate it seems that converting a RAID'd logical volume to a CS volume is possible:
http://kerr.io/encrypting-apple-raid-volumes-in-10-8-mountain-lion/

He did it for encryption reasons (which may or may not work in 10.8, definitely not under 10.7) but for the purpose of striping 2 smaller SSD's together for stupid speed (not sure what stripe size would be best for FusionDrive to deal with or if it would even be a factor).

I'd be really tempted to try it out but my Hackintosh's sole purpose in life is as a file/media server so there's no real reason to set it up there. I have FusionDrive running on my dual drive equipped iMac so I'm kinda blocked there (although....if it confirm it works first, I could see pulling my optical drive (I hardly use it and have an external BDROM anyway) and fitting a 3rd drive in the optical slot to RAID to my current SSD)

A buddy of mine has a Hackinstosh I built that we could throw a couple cheap small SSD's in and try it out. Might even be worth trying to RAID0 a couple HDD's together to get a speed boost on their end but I may be putting the cart ahead of the horse on that one.

So far, the RAID arrays are holding up in practice. I've created a RAID 0 from a couple 8GB flash drives and combined the resulting disk with a 250 USB HDD into a LVG and it seems to work just fine.

My big concern is that what ever method CoreStorage uses to decided which member disk is the SSD won't translate through the RAID array. Since it's largely undocumented and a practical test with my little experiment wouldn't answer that (wow, even a striped array of USB2 flash drives is dog slow). I guess we'd need to try it with the real deal to be sure.

Also, in case anyone was curious, mirrored arrays work as well. No only does it create the LVG just fine, I could pull one of the array's members (not nicely, literally pulled it out) and the LV kept up. Wrote more data to it, put the pulled member back and rebuilt it in Disk Utility like normal and everyone seems happy. That might be worth noting for those out there who have a twist in their panties about increased risk of data loss due to drive failure. Mirror your SSD, mirror your HDD and you have a fault tolerant FusionDrive. Obviously, that only applies to multibay Hackintoshes and Mac Pro's but worth noting.

I havent done it yet since the mirror is rebuilding but I'm kinda curious to see how it handles the HDD getting pulled. Obviously the LV will die but I'm curious if it will come back if plugged back in or will be forever hosed.

So at the moment i'm just search for my new hackintosh hardware.
But want to use fusion drive if it is possible.
Can somebody the difference between chimera and clover is?
Also is there any shedule when chimera will be able to boot from fusion drive?

BR Robert

All up and running, with no problems - thanks for the great guide :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back