Contribute
Register

neilhart's Prodigy "The Black One" - ATX in a mini-ITX case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to say if you decide to sell that Metal Bracket to fit an ATX board into that Prodigy case sign me up. I would definitely be interested. Heck if you make one to fit an mATX into that Prodigy I would be interested in purchasing it as well.

Very nice builds sir. Thank you for sharing. :D

I just want to say if you decide to sell that Metal Bracket to fit an ATX board into that Prodigy case sign me up. I would definitely be interested. Heck if you make one to fit an mATX into that Prodigy I would be interested in purchasing it as well.

Very nice builds sir. Thank you for sharing. :D

This was an ego project that worked out to be a very sound system. I am using it today and as indicated previously it is powered up 24/7 and is at 10.8.5.

The real credit goes to Intel for the Ivy Bridge i7-3770K that runs cool (by comparison to others that I have used) and to GigaByte for the great motherboard - Z77X-UP5 TH. And TonyMacX86 for the great support providing software tools that makes it possible.

The hack is made up of too many custom parts to be viable as a kit and requires way too much modding of the original sheet metal for most people. However, a serious modder could replicate it just by following my posts.

Good modding,
neil

Hi Neil,

impressive work as always,

Was just wondering if you could help me with a simple question.

I've got a prodigy mini itx case where the front and top panel have been modded. I'm upgrading to the matx case (when it comes out) and want to keep the mods, so thought I could just change the panels. Anyway my question is what size rivets did you use to get the case back together?

I think for my purpose it would be simplest just to replace the two panels on the new case from the old.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Tom I did not use rivets. Reassembly is with 6-32 or 4-40 screws. I cut threads (hand taps) where the material is thick enough or nuts (crown lock nuts or clinch nuts with blue thread lock in some places).

If you look closely at the construction photos you will see that I used socket button head screws wherever I could and that the top, bottom and front sheet metal were not separated.

The key to this construction is the motherboard mounting plate standing on 3/8" thick ABS risers (which are held to the top and bottom pieces by 6-32 screws). The motherboard mounting plate is then secured to the rear panel several places using the Mountian Mods PCI and IO panel which was sectioned and trimmed.

Good luck with your project and please start a thread and share your experience.
neil

Hi Neil,
Very nice mod.
Sorry for my stupid question, if I missed the information in between the pictures.

Why did you install this ATX board in mini ITX case?
It was not explained at the beginning and it's a lot of work (and fun maybe), compared to just changing the motherboard.
(On the pictures, you don't seem to need 4 extra PCI cards, or 8 SATA for HDD.)

Thanks

Hi Neil,
Very nice mod.
Sorry for my stupid question, if I missed the information in between the pictures.

Why did you install this ATX board in mini ITX case?
It was not explained at the beginning and it's a lot of work (and fun maybe), compared to just changing the motherboard.
(On the pictures, you don't seem to need 4 extra PCI cards, or 8 SATA for HDD.)

Thanks

thierry - The Black Prodigy as well as the White Prodigy projects were to show what can be done if one has the desire. I build the hacks as problem solving exercises as I enjoy jacking with technology (my hobby).

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back