Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi!

I'm about to change my AMD System in favor for an Intel based one (to make Hackintosh possible).

What I'm about to buy:

- Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
- CPU: Intel Core i5-750

What I have:

- 2x 2GB DDR3 1333mhz
- ATI Radeon 4870

Is all that gonna work? Any changes regarding the Mainboard, CPU?

Thx,
Chris

fotuwe said:
Hi!

I'm about to change my AMD System in favor for an Intel based one (to make Hackintosh possible).

What I'm about to buy:

- Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
- CPU: Intel Core i5-750

What I have:

- 2x 2GB DDR3 1333mhz
- ATI Radeon 4870

Is all that gonna work? Any changes regarding the Mainboard, CPU?

Thx,
Chris

Looks familiar :lol:

You've chosen wisely my friend. Just keep in mind that the UD2 is a mATX board, and will look silly in a regular sized case. And make sure that RAM is i5/i7 P55 compatible- these boards are pickier than you're probably used to.

One more thing...

I know you have an ATI 4870, but consider picking up or even just borrowing a cheap nVidia card for the install. It will make the process much easier, and you won't be tearing your hair out trying to enable ATI with The 10.6 Installation DVD. The card fully works with a few kexts added as soon as you get to 10.6.2.

Ok - sounds good.

Any disadvantages with the little "silly" mainboard? :p
Its cheap an got everything I need. Tho I'd buy also a "big" Gigabyte if this gives any advantage..

fotuwe said:
Ok - sounds good.

Any disadvantages with the little "silly" mainboard? :p
Its cheap an got everything I need. Tho I'd buy also a "big" Gigabyte if this gives any advantage..

I love it. Everything I need, and nothing I don't. But take a look at features- if you think you'll be using a lot of PCI cards for example, do not get it.

If you think you may want to run 2 graphics cards- or even a large one and 2 pci cards, you may be out of luck, as the slots are close together and the fan may take up the space.

Also, the 2nd Graphics lane is only 4x. Might think about that if you're a gamer or something.

One advantage of this board over others is that it has Firewire.

The UD2 doesn't have, but a lot of the newer GA boards have options for:
SATA 6.0gbps transfer
USB 3.0
2 Ethernet jacks

Hope this helps- just make sure you buy a Gigabyte. ;)

Hm ye thats the question - basically im not a gamer... but who knows.

The next better Mainboard is the "non M" P55 UD4 isnt it? With firewire etc.. but thats nearly 2x the price of the P55M UD2..

fotuwe said:
Hm ye thats the question - basically im not a gamer... but who knows.

The next better Mainboard is the "non M" P55 UD4 isnt it? With firewire etc.. but thats nearly 2x the price of the P55M UD2..

Well, the thing DOES have 2 graphics slots- it's not like you can't use them. It says it's ready for Crossfire, so...

Multi-display support with ATI CrossFireX
P55M-UD2 supporting ATI CrossFireX delivers the ultimate in graphics performance for gaming enthusiasts who demand the highest frame rates without compromising on resolution.

You know my recommendation- can anyone else chime in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back