Contribute
Register

Need some advice on whether this will work/ is worth trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Trying to figure out how to get Mountain Lion!
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Graphics
GeForce GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
A little background: I just bought all the parts for my first hackintosh, and since I want this computer to last me a long time, I tried to get the latest and greatest I could afford. That included an ivy bridge processor, and, since I don't have a mac running 10.6 or later, a Snow Leopard retail DVD. Unfortunately, even though I read all the guides, I never stumbled across the fact that Snow Leopard is not compatible with ivy bridge until I started doing forum searches to try to determine why I was getting hung up on a gray apple screen no matter WHAT I did.

I have a couple of family members with newish macs, but they live far away. I have an older, power-pc mac running tiger that I can't upgrade to 10.6 but which does have disk utility. What I'm wondering is if the mac used to create the UniBeast flash drive has to be running Snow Leopard, or if Snow Leopard is only required to download Mountain Lion. If I can create the disk with my mac, I could ask one of my family members to use my apple id to download mountain lion and put the file in a shared dropbox folder or something, and then use my old mac to actually create the UniBeast drive. The only thing I'm not sure of is how the app store downloads work, and if the Mountain Lion file is a file or disk image or something that my cousin would actually be able to send to me.

Is it worth a try?

I have no idea how to do that, not that I am 100% opposed to trying to figure it out if that's what it takes, but I also don't have a windows install cd. And isn't windows expensive to buy? Like $200 or $300? I'm really not prepared to do that. I also might be able to download the app at an apple store and put it on a portable hard drive to bring it home with me, but I'd still have to be able to actually create the UniBeast usb drive on my old mac, which is the part I'm not sure will work. I called the apple store to ask if they'd let me do it, and while they insisted it wouldn't be possible, they didn't seem averse to the idea.

Never mind, I got my answer.... tried to run UniBeast on my mac just to see what would happen and it requires 10.5 minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back