Register

Need a CPU Cooler Recommendation

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi. I have a BitFenix Phenom mini-ITX case with a Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 graphics card, Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10 core processor. I've been using a BeQuiet Pure Loop 120mm water cooling system, which seems to have partially or fully failed. My CPU quickly begins to overheat when I so much as have a browser open. I'm hesitant to replace it with the same unit (but could be convinced if folks here think that's the best move... I'm going to try to do this, myself), and was wondering if I could get a good recommendation here for my system... if water cooling is overkill and I should just go back to air cooling. Thanks.

Last edited:
An AIO Corsair H100x or similar might be an option for you to consider.

The rear of the case will take a 120mm fan and 120mm radiator.

The top of the case will take a 240mm rad with 2 x 120mm fans.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 16.00.57.png cooling specs for your case.

Air cooling limitations for your case.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 16.05.13.png

The Noctua NH-D15 might be an option for air cooling.

The Noctua is approximately the same price as Corsair H100x AIO cooler, I would personally go for the AIO cooler.

An AIO Corsair H100x or similar might be an option for you to consider.

The rear of the case will take a 120mm fan and 120mm radiator.

The top of the case will take a 240mm rad with 2 x 120mm fans.

View attachment 580645 cooling specs for your case.

Air cooling limitations for your case.

View attachment 580646

The Noctua NH-D15 might be an option for air cooling.

The Noctua is approximately the same price as Corsair H100x AIO cooler, I would personally go for the AIO cooler.
Thank you, as always, @Edhawk. So, the H60x would be insufficient for my processor? You recommend the 100?

The H60x should be fine. I have used this and other H60 AIO coolers for some of my Intel and AMD hacks.

But as you have a top end 10th Gen CPU and I have no idea how hard you push the system, I would opt for the larger dual fan AIO. As it won't have to work so hard to keep the CPU cool.

Only you know how hard you push the system/CPU and how well your previous thermal solution worked.

The H60x should be fine. I have used this and other H60 AIO coolers for some of my Intel and AMD hacks.

But as you have a top end 10th Gen CPU and I have no idea how hard you push the system, I would opt for the larger dual fan AIO. As it won't have to work so hard to keep the CPU cool.

Only you know how hard you push the system/CPU and how well your previous thermal solution worked.
@ Edhawk ... I'm not a gamer. I do a bit of FCP and Photoshop work, and transcode videos, but I wouldn't say I push my system too hard. It does, for the moment, do double duty as my Plex server, but I'm generally not doing anything else on the system when I'm streaming from Plex. The Be Quiet always kept it plenty cool no matter what I did... but I don't know if the pump failed, or what. I just know I need to fix it before I screw up my processor.

That being the case I would be happy to recommend the H60x AIO cooler for your system.

Back