HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My Guide to successful Install on Gigabyte GA P55 UD3R

Here is how I did a clean install of Mountain Lion (MTL) on my rather old (P55 / 1156) but very stable system. See the specs of my system below.
Most things went smoothly. I had some troubles at places where I tried to document the solutions that worked for me/

1 - Setup a new bootable USB Stick installer for Lion from TonyMac's Unibeast

1. Purchase and Download MTL installer from the mac app store (16 Euros)
- NOTE: I was not able to download MTL from my previous install. Regardless of my system ID (MacPro, iMac, etc..) the MacApp store would insist saying that my system was incompatible! I frankly don't know why. I was able to purchase it using a real mac running Lion 10.7.3. When download finished I cancelled the automatic installation.
2. Copied the downloaded file "Install OSX Mountain Lion" (4.37 GB) to the application folder on my system.
3. Create a blank USB Stick with diskutility: 1 Partition / MBR / HFS Journaled : Named it: "MTL Install"
4. Run Unibeast 1.5
- Destination: "MTL Install"
- I did not select legacy USB support since I'm using a customized DSDT.aml file
- Install runs for some 15 mns (although stuck at 'about a minute' for ages!)
- Done.. 2.9 GB left on the drive
5. Get the DSDT.aml file for the mobo (DSDT-GA-P55-UD3R-F8.aml) from tonymac rename it to DSDT.aml and copy it to MTL Install/Extra/ folder
6. I also added a folder at the root of "MTL Install" with post-install stuff: latest multibeast, DSDT for the mobo and eventual combo-update to future 10.8.x updates
7. I Now have a Bootable Mountain Lion Installer for fresh install and rescue

2 - Clean Install of Mountain Lion

1. Make sure BIOS settings are correctly set (Press delete on boot): all SATA set to AHCI, HPET mode 64 bits
2. Plug the USB stick installer we just made "MTL Install"
3. Reboot, press F12 during boot and select USB-HDD
4. @11:20 Booting onto 'MTL Install' Stick (see above for how to make it)
- NOTE: At this stage if the installer gets stuck at the langage screen with unrecognized mouse/keyboard it's probably because of unrecognized 1156 legacy USB. check that the DSDT.aml in /Extra is correct (step 5 above)

5. In the installer format a fresh partition for Mountain Lion using Disk Utility (GUID / HFS Journaled). I named it "Mountain Lion"
6. @11:23 Starting installation
7. @11:39 Installation succeeded!
8. Restart to 'MTL Install' stick drive USB-HDD (F12) and select the newly installed 'Mountain Lion'
9. Create new account, first boot in Mountain Lion @11:43 (10.8.0) - 6,64 GB Used: No Audio, Ethernet Ok
10. Get the DSDT file for the mobo (DSDT-GA-P55-UD3R-F8.aml) onto the desktop
11. Run the latest Multibeast with settings: UserDSDT, System Utilities, ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, 3rd Party eSATA, IOAHCIStorageInjector (I'm not sure if this one is still necessary on MTL?), Lnx2Mac RealTek
12. Multibeast and Lnx2Mac realtek success at 12:02!!!
13. Final Restart to 'Mountain Lion' at 12:03 (MTL Install USB stick can be pulled off)
14. Set OSX Preferences/Energy and check everything
15. In order to remove CMOS reset and POST errors after sleep you will need to patch the AppleRTC.kext in S/L/E.
- Apply the following in Terminal (see details here http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...307-mountain-lion-cmos-reset-after-sleep.html) (Warning this is different than the previous AppleRTC patch for Lion !)
- Make backup of the folder /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext
- "sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC"
- Then update kernel caches:
- "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel; sudo kextcache -system-caches"
16. @12:05 : Finally what's working, what's not?
Everything seems OK: Audio, Graphics, Sleep, USB, eSATA, DVD drive and burning.
Note that I don't use WiFi nor Bluetooth on my system so I can't tell anything about it.

The bottom line:
My good old system with which I started my hackintosh adventures a couple years back using Snow Leopard is still going strong and runs very well on MTL. My geekbench is about the same as before. Thanks a lot to Tony, macman and all the contributors to this great site.

Have a nice day,

Chris

Hi

Thank you for this great tutorial. Worked like a charm for me. Before i tried other guides but failed.
Thumbs up 4 u !

Used this guide and got my setup up and updated to 10.8.1 with all working smooth.
Thanks for the guide.
Anyone tried moving theirs up to 10.8.2 ?

can you please help me i installed the system but after the install it won't run it keeps rebooting

After install multibeest and reboot I have a black screen after apple logo screen. Help!
Nvidia 9500 gt

Kudos to you for getting a successful install on this motherboard. I tried way back repeatedly for months a few years ago with Snow Leopard, a retail disc of 10.6.0 and I stopped in the end after plenty of frustration. I just started back today, trying with Mavericks. I never was even able to make a bootable USB drive with UniBeast. I kept getting an error using my 10.6.8 MB and did all the formatting right in Disk Utility, and even tried with a different USB thumb drive (one was 16gb the other 8). Do you think your guide will work with a slightly different mobo? I have the GA-P55A-UD3R and I'm currently on the F13b. Would love to hear what you think...

Thanks a bundle.

Moved this old box to mavericks yesterday. Mostly smooth update, thou I did have to boot with -x from unibeast 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back