Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear fellow Hackintosh users,

here's my first mod ever: a g5 mod.

First of all I had all the original components removed from an old g5 power mac (early 2005 2x 2,7 gHz).
It was a damaged unit, with a severe coolant leak from the dual g5 liquid cooling system; I cleaned up the case, polished the aluminium surfaces, and did a first test with a broken dummy motherboard

IMG_0015.JPG

And 2x Lian Li HDD-Kit EX-332N triple hdd bays with a 12cm fan

IMG_0017.JPG

I used four motherboard standoffs and lian-li case screws to fasten the lower HDD kit to the case floor (and two velcro strips to keep together both HDD kits) to have the bays easily removed if needed

IMG_0029.JPG

this is IMHO a good solution to have an excellent air cooling for both the HDDs and the components.

As for the rest of the mod, to make a long story short, I've followed some good and well known tips from this forum:
I dremelled the back of my G5 and fitted a MountainMods ATX motherboard tray (with dual 80mm fan holes)

IMG_0028.JPG

And, most important of all, I've been able to easily fit my thermaltake modular 800W PSU to the upper part of the case, where the original powermac HDDs are usually placed.
I had also enough empty space to have my Cooler Master heatpipe cooler fitted, granting low temperatures to my overclocked Core 2 Quad.
The final result is hereby shown:

IMG_0025.JPG

As you can see there's enough space under the optical drive to have the original 2x HDD bay installed to potentially have a 8x HDD configuration.

Thanks for the inspiration to all the expert modders in this forum, and of course sorry for the low quality pictures (taken with my beloved iPhone 3G... Still waiting to have a new iPhone 4S shipped :yawn: ).

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    742.8 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    795.5 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    697.7 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    677.1 KB · Views: 660
Awesome job dude. I like how you cut out the bottom lip to fit that cooler. This was the same problem I ran into when considering air coolers. Because of that lip you basically cannot put anything taller than a 140mm cooler, so it rules out almost all 120mm fan coolers. I ended up using a Zalman CNPS7x, which is tiny, but awesome.

Nice idea with the drive cage, over all clean job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back