Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm really looking forward to my first ever computer build/mod. I decided I want to gut a Powermac G5, replace the parts for my needs, and then install Mac OS X on it.

I hear there are problems such as the I/O and the power button, but I do not see why or how to fix them anywhere. I looked for tutorials, but I really don't know what to do. Are there problems explained anywhere?

Has anyone made a 'tutorial' on building a hackintosh G5? I also looked for that, and I actually did find one, but it was more of just pictures of him doing it with little explanation on what to do.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You may struggle to a good enough system for $500 look on tony macs recommended builds.
The problem with the Powermac G5 is that it didnt use a standard ATX motherboard, PSU, etc. When you try to mount a standard motherboard the standoffs don't line up, and the PCI cut outs don't line up, and the psu is a different shape. People either use a motherboard tray (li lian or mountain mods) or use a smaller motherboard and use cables from the pci express, usb, network cable etc. The front power button is non standard but some people sell a conversion cable. Mike

Since there are issues, what Mac case would you recommend me to build a PC inside of? I liked this one for its looks, so I thought it would make a nice hackintosh.

Specific models/links appreciated.

OK
G5 mod isn't as bad a mod to do. All you need is patients and to look at it as a fun learning experience.

To cut or not to cut, that is the question!

One you have your G5 you need to figure out the route you want to go, if your going to put in a motherboard tray from Mountain Mods or Lian Li tray or Not cut it at all. One thing to take into consideration is the size of the back of said motherboard trays, to big fan openings and the rear will be to big for the G5.

You can go the no cut rear and use small jumpers to go between the mobo and G5 rear panel or buy a "Pre-made custom G5 Rear IO ports" (google that phrase and you will get zammykoo's awesome adapter). Those are awesome and I think the guy that makes them might have a couple left. If not then I suppose that pre-made IO is out the window.

There will be some cutting and removing or metal pieces and Logicboard stands. If you do not want to go the motherboard tray you can reuse the Logicboard standoffs. They are easy to remove and to glue back into place with JB weld.

As for the front IO cable just google "G5 to ATX front IO cables" and you will see a link to people who make them. They are roughly $30. and are a quick and easy way to get the front panel working. If you want to make your own, if your up to the task, there are a lot of diagrams about with the layout. If you can't find one let me know and I will set you up. I also have all the fan wiring as well if you want to reuse any G5 fans, the only thing with those is they are loud for some people.

So as you can see you have some options :D
As you go along keep this thread updated with questions or what not, people will help out with any modding stuff. As for your hack hardware make sure you read up a lot on the guides and know what you are doing if this is your first hack. Some of it is confusing but if you search here for it and or use google you can get most questions answered yourself. If you can't find anything then ask. I found it nice to watch some of the newest install videos and read up on it, made my install easy! And my hack is the first computer I ever build.

So good luck and have fun!

Thank you for all of the help, and the same of the person who replied before you.

I will try to do as little cutting and manual work as possible, to reduce the chance of me breaking something, since this is my first hack. I will continue to research this and find out anything I can to help me.

I'll keep everyone updated on the thread once I get things moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back