Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi. I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 running an Intel Core i7-860. I followed the iBoot + MultiBeast tutorial, and OS X installed fine. So far everything works perfectly, except for a few things:
  • It won't boot from the disk (it just keeps saying "loading operating system"). Maybe this is related to my computer having two hard drives (they're in RAID 1, set in the disk utility)?[/*:m:1u7afmrf]
  • It won't wake up from sleep.[/*:m:1u7afmrf]
  • It isn't in 64-bit mode (OS X said that the 64-bit version of an app I downloaded wasn't compatible).[/*:m:1u7afmrf]
  • It lists the processor as "unknown", and the RAM as 667Mhz DDR2, even though it's 1333Mhz DDR3 (it runs at 1333Mhz in BIOS). This probably isn't a problem, but it does seem a bit odd...[/*:m:1u7afmrf]
  • The one USB memory stick I've used on it was REALLY slow, but quite fast on other computers.[/*:m:1u7afmrf]
  • Possibly a few other things that I forgot about.[/*:m:1u7afmrf]

I've run MultiBeast six times (most recently today). Each time nothing has changed. However, the third and fifth times, the kernel panicked on boot (running it again in safe mode fixed that). Sound worked fine the last time I checked.

EDIT: Is there a way to check if graphics are fully enabled? I ask because in one of the games I play, a graphics option is disabled ("not supported"). Otherwise, everything works fine. I have an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT.

Hey, I've built my own recently with a similar system and I'll try help.

I would suggest that you install 10.6.2, make a duplicate or image and then attempt the upgrade to 10.6.3. I'm sure you've realised how aggravating and time consuming 6-10 installs are!

Ensure that your motherboards BIOS is version F5, you can find it here. Then ensure you choose "Load Optimised Defaults". If you don't, your CPU will be underclocked. Make sure that after you've loaded optimised defaults you change the SATA options all back to AHCI from IDE and that you enable 64-bit HET.

Follow Tony's multiboot guide with the 10.6.2 Combo update. once the update has been completed, start up multibeast and choose the Gigabeast option for your board.

To check if graphics are fully enabled, open the Dashboard an add a gadget. When it's placed on the desktop you should see ripples. If you do, then you have QE/CI enabled. Or you can try and open Front Row. If it works at all, then your graphics are working fine.

Edit - Also, try disabling RAID.

So yesterday I decided to install Chameleon manually. When I looked at the readme I noticed you have to install it in a certain way if you're booting from disks in RAID. So I followed the instructions and it actually booted from disk! But then while booting it kernel panicked, with the error "CPU 7 has no HPET assigned to it". So, I installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (via MultiBeast). No change. Then today I dissected the MultiBeast installer and followed the Chameleon instructions, but with the boot files from MultiBeast (the ones for my motherboard). Still no change, it still kernel panics with the same error when booting from disk.

Any ideas? Maybe MultiBeast could be made to work with disks in RAID? :D

You can't have RAID enabled on the controller you are using the drive which has OSX on it. You must run in AHCI mode.

jgv115 said:
You can't have RAID enabled on the controller you are using the drive which has OSX on it. You must run in AHCI mode.
I meant software RAID (configured from the disk utility).

So, I finally got it to work. Apparently the only thing I missed was copying /Extra to the boot volume on each disk. Everything works now except sound, but I haven't messed with that much. I wrote a small shell script that copies all the boot files and /Extra to the places they need to be after running running MultiBeast or modifying /Extra, which I'll post in a bit (I need to clean it up a bit, it would currently only work on my system).

:D

Sorry this is so late, I was on vacation. Anyway:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

BOOTDIR=/usr/standalone/i386 # boot files

# copy to MBR
sudo fdisk -f $BOOTDIR/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo fdisk -f $BOOTDIR/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

# copy to bootsector
sudo dd if=$BOOTDIR/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3
sudo dd if=$BOOTDIR/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

# copy boot files and /Extra to RAID helper partition
diskutil mount disk0s3
cp $BOOTDIR/boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX
cp -R /Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OSX
diskutil unmount disk1s3
diskutil mount disk1s3
cp $BOOTDIR/boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX
cp -R /Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OSX
diskutil unmount disk0s3

Save that somewhere and run it with "sudo sh <filename>", whenever you change anything in /Extra or modify the boot files. This should enable booting from disk when using SL's software RAID.

If you have more than two disks, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

No guarantees that it will work!

sure it work, i have that p55-usb3, 8800gt, i3 530 and it runs beautyful!

du need iBoot 2.0 Supported and Multibeast 2.0. Its important that you use ur DSDT file from Tonys DSDT Database and choose this in Multibeast.

After that mark on KERNELs the 10.3.1 Supported Kernel.

and of course the other kexts for ur system.

After that u should be able to boot from ur hdd

greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back