Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I'm building my first Hackintosh, and I want to dual boot Mountain Lion and Windows 7. Right now, I have a 120 GB SanDisk SSD and a 1 TB Seagate HDD. I was planning on installing OSX on the SSD and using the HDD for storage. I found this guide, but I'm not sure if it applies. I was hoping someone could advise me on the best way to dual boot using this setup. Thanks!

Hi, I'm building my first Hackintosh, and I want to dual boot Mountain Lion and Windows 7. Right now, I have a 120 GB SanDisk SSD and a 1 TB Seagate HDD. I was planning on installing OSX on the SSD and using the HDD for storage. I found this guide, but I'm not sure if it applies. I was hoping someone could advise me on the best way to dual boot using this setup. Thanks!

Read: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/99683-dual-boot-macosx-windows-7-newbie.html

Thanks! Also, sorry for the redundant post. I just have a few questions, and I would be so grateful if you could answer them.

In that thread, you say to:
- connect only the Windows drive, then install Windows on it (be sure to install in legacy, non-UEFI mode)
- disconnect the Windows drive
- connect only the OS X drive, then install OS X to it using the techniques here
- connect the Windows drive
- make BIOS boot priority such that you boot to the OS X drive (because it has Chimera boot loader on it, which can be used to select which OS you want at boot time)
I want OS X to be able to write to the HDD. Should I use Disk Utility to partition it first? I don't know of a way to partition a drive without using Disk Utility, and I'm afraid that if I install Windows on the HDD, I will lose the ability to have OS X write to it.

EDIT:
I just saw the post in which you suggested to create at FAT32 partition. So in that case, I would install according to your instructions above and use Windows to create this other kind of partition. Would OS X then be able to write to that partition?

EDIT:
I just saw the post in which you suggested to create at FAT32 partition. So in that case, I would install according to your instructions above and use Windows to create this other kind of partition. Would OS X then be able to write to that partition?

Yes. I would probably use OS X Disk Utility to create the partition, since I think by your description you'll have OS X installed on that disk, but it would probably work either way.

Okay. Just to clarify:

-connect only the SSD
-install OS X on the SSD
-connect the HDD
-use Disk utility to create FAT32 partition on the HDD
-disconnect the SSD
-install Windows on the partition on the HDD (legacy, non-UEFI mode)
-reconnect the SSD
-make OS X the boot priority

Is this right? Thanks again!

Okay. Just to clarify:

-connect only the SSD
-install OS X on the SSD
-connect the HDD
-use Disk utility to create FAT32 partition on the HDD
-disconnect the SSD
-install Windows on the partition on the HDD (legacy, non-UEFI mode)
-reconnect the SSD
-make OS X the boot priority

Is this right? Thanks again!

Yes, in a nutshell.

I am so glad that I found this post. I will be making a hackintosh later in the year but I want to make sure i know how to do everything before I try. I was wanting to do the same thing and have the windows just for some games that aren't on mac (so pretty much every game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back