Contribute
Register

Motherboard issue or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a power loop using the gigabyte ga-z77n-wifi (rest of setup in sig). The system will try to boot every few seconds, CPU, PSU fans both start, then it shuts off. No display at any point. Rinse repeat. At first I thought it was a faulty power supply, so I replaced that. However, that made no difference.

With the video card connected, the system turns on, can see fans spinning, then fans will stop spinning, and then start up again. No picture is displayed at any point.

I took out the video card, and connected monitor to onboard graphics. It seems to turn on successfully but just gets me to a screen that cycles to red, blue, green, ect...Now, if I remove the RAM card, it won't even boot to that screen. Basically, the same behavior as with the video card connected. Fans spin, no picture at any point. I'm not sure if that tells me anything?

I can't get to the BIOS in any situation. I tried taking the battery out and replacing as well. No difference.

Any ideas here? I'm thinking the motherboard is the issue, but I'm open to alternatives. Thanks!

I'm getting a power loop using the gigabyte ga-z77n-wifi (rest of setup in sig). The system will try to boot every few seconds, CPU, PSU fans both start, then it shuts off. No display at any point. Rinse repeat. At first I thought it was a faulty power supply, so I replaced that. However, that made no difference.

With the video card connected, the system turns on, can see fans spinning, then fans will stop spinning, and then start up again. No picture is displayed at any point.

I took out the video card, and connected monitor to onboard graphics. It seems to turn on successfully but just gets me to a screen that cycles to red, blue, green, ect...Now, if I remove the RAM card, it won't even boot to that screen. Basically, the same behavior as with the video card connected. Fans spin, no picture at any point. I'm not sure if that tells me anything?

I can't get to the BIOS in any situation. I tried taking the battery out and replacing as well. No difference.

Any ideas here? I'm thinking the motherboard is the issue, but I'm open to alternatives. Thanks!

I would agree it is probably a motherboard issue from your description.

Have you tried to clear CMOS memory on your motherboard? If you haven't, find out how to do this from the manual and try it.

I would agree it is probably a motherboard issue from your description.

Have you tried to clear CMOS memory on your motherboard? If you haven't, find out how to do this from the manual and try it.

I had previously removed the battery. I thought that re-set CMOS, maybe not? I read manual and it said to touch the two pins with a screw driver. That didn't help either. Same behavior.

Do you know of a replacement motherboard I can use? The GA-Z77N-WIFI isn't readily available. I hate the idea of having to setup everything from scratch again.

So I'm pretty lost here at this point. I tried replacing the motherboard, power supply, AND the processor.

Same results. I can't get to BIOS. It just keeps cycling on and off. I can tell because of the fans keep running and then shutting off, running, shutting off...

Any ideas? The only thing I haven't tried is the memory, but I wouldn't think that's the issue here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back