I7
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I've got my mod running and am just trying to put the finishing touches on it. I have read the mooner's wiring diagram for the front panel comment #17 http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-m...ro-gigabyte-z68mx-ud2h-b3-mac-pro-case-2.html

I hope its ok to start a new thread, but that one has a lot of tangents so I was wondering if any one could help me with more clarity around the wiring.

My main aim is to get the power button working but getting the USB sockets working would be a bonus. I have the wiring for the power button off my old PC case which connects to the pins on my Asus P9X79. I also have the old wiring from the Mac Pro, including a number of connectors that plug into the top of the front panel board. I was thinking if I cut the wires from this connector and wired them to the one that connects to the pins on my motherboard this might work. My main question is around the SATA power connectors for the other wires. I really don't have a lot of experience in this kind of thing, so Im not sure why it is referring to SATA power. I have some 4pin Molex wires and saw the power coming from the PSU for the 4 pin connectors is 12v, G, G, 5v would one of these work as a power supply for this card? Or is this something you can easily get from the a SATA port?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I've got my mod running and am just trying to put the finishing touches on it. I have read the mooner's wiring diagram for the front panel comment #17 http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-m...ro-gigabyte-z68mx-ud2h-b3-mac-pro-case-2.html

I hope its ok to start a new thread, but that one has a lot of tangents so I was wondering if any one could help me with more clarity around the wiring.

My main aim is to get the power button working but getting the USB sockets working would be a bonus. I have the wiring for the power button off my old PC case which connects to the pins on my Asus P9X79. I also have the old wiring from the Mac Pro, including a number of connectors that plug into the top of the front panel board. I was thinking if I cut the wires from this connector and wired them to the one that connects to the pins on my motherboard this might work. My main question is around the SATA power connectors for the other wires. I really don't have a lot of experience in this kind of thing, so Im not sure why it is referring to SATA power. I have some 4pin Molex wires and saw the power coming from the PSU for the 4 pin connectors is 12v, G, G, 5v would one of these work as a power supply for this card? Or is this something you can easily get from the a SATA port?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy you are on the correct path. In Monner's thread post # 17 the SATA Power is the 4 pin molex from the PSU. Wire the ground (black wire), 5VDC (red wire) and 12VDC (yellow wire) from your 4 pin molex to the pins shown on the front panel board.

The the two wires off to your motherboard front panel header for power switch and power LED.

Then for the USB hack. Read Monner's comments as the pictorial is good. You use a common SATA data cable and cut it open and sort out the wires and it will match the pictorial. You are dealing with the USB 2 data lines. It may take some practice to make these solder connections but it is very doable.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks so much for your help and sorry for the time it has taken me to reply.

I finally had time to visit my friend who does electrical repairs, and he did a nice clean job of connecting all the wires for me. I plugged it all in and the power on button worked!!

Ill upload some photos of the mod soon, but here is a photo of my front panel wiring. Next job is the USB data cable. I found the connector that was used for USB onto the motherboard I had didn't have all the wires connected so I need to locate another.

Photo 7-10-14 12 06 04 pm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back