Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Hi

thought I'd start this thread while I had the chance. Wife and kids out, so I had the evening to myself...

Been lurking and admiring folks works of art, feats of ingenuity, and labours of love with a growing desire to do my own for some time now.

I had one of the first Cubes sold in the UK, and sold it on some time ago, a thing I now regret. The increasing lethargy of my Mac Pro was the tipping point, and so I decided to go back to the Cube format with 21st Century horsepower under the bonnet.

First thing I actually did was build a Hack server, from a 8-bay UNAS case, H87 board and i3, to replace the data storage aspect of the MacPro, but that's for another thread...

So enough of the blah-de-blah already...

I bought an old beat up cube (didn't realise it was so beat up when I bought it but then you realise you should never buy anything off-auction on eBay...) and decided to do some prototyping of a few ideas That I had developed, based on work by the genii that frequent these forums.

So, just finished round #1, no photos yet but thought I'd share a few ideas and discoveries early-doors.

Basic build:
i7 4770T 3Ghz (I think) /Noctua NL-H9i cooler
GA-H87N-WIFI
16GB RAM
120GB PNY SSD and 3TB HDD
Panasonic Blu-Ray
Pico 160XT

initial prototyping has gotten to a useable stage although no data drive or BD yet, however...

• original heatsink retained (but not for direct cooling purposes) but still ok airflow
  • Pico mounted to motherboard with no unsightly or space-hogging ATX extenders
  • possibly room for original power button

Made a few other discoveries on the way (such as don't try drilling something you are holding IN your hand...) but am fairly happy with my initial product.

I intend to buy a more mint Cube and improve upon first attempts. So I may post some photos then.

Until such time, many thanks to all who contribute and inspire, and I hope to be sharing more details with you all soon.

Regards.

Woo-hoo! Secured what should hopefully be a near-mint cube (still in original box) on eBay, so hopefully I can move from R&D phase into Production implementation very soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back