Contribute
Register

MightyDood’s Mac Pro Mod (MacPro 1,1 2006)

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I've a 1,1 I got a week after they came out. I may use it for a Haswell build once a Gigabyte Z87 board with TB becomes available. Wonder if an XL ATX would fit?

An ATX will fit if you don't use the HDD hot swap bays, While XL ATX may require you to have the board go up into the area where the PSU is. A G5 case should be able to fit an XL-ATX if you keep the original PSU case and swap ATX PSU into it.

Thanks. I was looking at G5 cases but with the resale cost I figured it would make more sense to use the 1,1 as a donor and sell the parts to a) off set cost and b) as you say help someone else keep a Mac going. Not to hijack MightyDood's thread but I'd like to use as much as possible from the donor case, particularly the drive mounts. I see what looks now to be discontinued Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H-TH mATX which looks to be something I could use. Lack of slots isn't a big deal now that I've given it more thought. Thunderbolt fills that need. With the Z77 TB boards disappearing I'd reckon it's only a matter of time before we see those same configs in a Z87.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back