Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX
CPU
i7-6950X
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I hope I am posting this in the correct place...
I am a Mac Pro user and looking to build a Hackintosh when Gigabyte comes out with a motherboard that has the LGA 2011 socket with thunderbolt ports.
Question is I already have hard drives loaded with all my software and OS 10.7. Will I have to start from scratch when I build the Hackintosh and reinstall all of my software again?
thanks
michaiel

I am a Mac Pro user and looking to build a Hackintosh when Gigabyte comes out with a motherboard that has the LGA 2011 socket with thunderbolt ports.
Question is I already have hard drives loaded with all my software and OS 10.7. Will I have to start from scratch when I build the Hackintosh and reinstall all of my software again?
thanks
michaiel

I would not hold my breath waiting for an x79 motherboard with thunderbolt. Intel seems to want implementation to be tied to the processor graphics and apparently that is one reason Intel has rejected the add-on cards for thunderbolt. So given that the 2011 chips lack the built in graphics necessary and AFAIK there are no plans for a 2011 chip with the built in graphics, I'm not seeing it happening any time soon.

Wouldn't mind being proved wrong though. I have heard that Apple may announce a big update to the Mac Pros towards the end of the year, which presumably would support Thunderbolt, but there's also a strong possibility that this is just simply fanboy wishful thinking.

I've found that a clean install is best with hackintoshes. It's possible to migrate applications and user accounts, but IME this also tends to overwrite files necessary to make a hackintosh work. It is possible to do so, but is likely to take a fair amount of trial and error. For something like this it helps a HELL of a lot if you have an extra drive you can clone your working installation of OSX to and then do the migration to the cloned drive. So that if it gets screwed up, you can just wipe it, re-clone and try it again.

Thanks for the replies...I have a 2009 Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 core machine and want to sell it before it loses any more value. I primarily record with Pro Tools and have decided to start using Hackintoshs instead of losing my a@@ every 3 - 4 years when the Mac becomes obsolete. I found a thread on such a build using only a quad 1155 intel processor. Since I don't see any hope of a dual quad socket mother board, unless someone knows of one...Does anyone know how much of a difference I am losing and/or gaining by building around an Intel Core i7-3770k Quad Core?
thanks
[h=1][/h]

thanks
michaiel

michail

Your drives can be recycled - but as to being able to Plug and Play - No that wont work....

as to being to boot from a Mac Boot Drive - this is not possible as the APPLE BIOS is not that same as what a hack has - we use a boot loader to "assist" the APPLE OS "think" its on the real thing...

If your HD is separate from the Boot Drive its possible to have it installed to the hack and should be mountable. But the file permissions and ownership could be problems in this scenario.

Thanks for the replies...I have a 2009 Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 core machine and want to sell it before it loses any more value. I primarily record with Pro Tools and have decided to start using Hackintoshs instead of losing my a@@ every 3 - 4 years when the Mac becomes obsolete. I found a thread on such a build using only a quad 1155 intel processor. Since I don't see any hope of a dual quad socket mother board, unless someone knows of one...Does anyone know how much of a difference I am losing and/or gaining by building around an Intel Core i7-3770k Quad Core?
thanks
[h=1][/h]

The socket 1155 chips, even the xeon versions, to the best of my knowledge lack the QuickPathInterconnects (high speed links) necessary to do a multiple processor system. I don't think there is any inherent limitation to the tech for them, Intel just doesnt make any that have it and basically seem like they would rather sell you much more expensive gear if you are looking for a multiple CPU systems.

If you go with a x79/2011 build like Mk500's in the golden builds section, don't go with a 3820. The 6 cores on the 3930k are half the reason to go with a 2011 chip and a max of 64gb ram is the other. Disadvantages would be yet more money ($300-$450 MB, $500-$600 3930k) and no sleep/powersaving modes, but the machines do run very nicely and have power to burn.

If you really have your heart set on a dual processor system, keep in mind that this ups the price drastically. You need Xeon chips and the ones that support dual CPUs are not cheap, nor are the motherboards for them. Plus unless you need even more massive amounts of ram than 64gb, two quad core xeons only get you two more cores than a 3930k and dual hexa or octa cores are even more expensive.

I believe there have been some successful builds using the EVGA SR-X (dual socket 2011), but until a Mac Pro is released using one of the workstation/server chipsets, it's probably going to require substantially more work and have much higher risk of problems.

The one thing the IB systems have vs the SB-E, is the built in GPU are exceptionally efficient at transcoding certain kinds of video under windows, but I don't believe that OSX actually takes advantage of them for this. So it's kind of a moot point for a hackintosh.

The SB-E don't really support PCIe 3.0, unlike the IB chips. Which does help make up for some of the difference in PCIe lanes between them (40 vs 16) and the IB chips, since 3.0 doubles the bandwidth vs the PCIe 2.0. In other words an x8 PCIe 3.0 has the same bandwidth as a x16 2.0 slot. In any case the x79/2011 are basically better if you will be using multiple cards.

ggeorge
Thanks for the clarification...I will probably start out with a single chipset board and see what happens. I agree on the 3930k...I am going to wait and see if they come out with a thunderbolt board. before ordering anything.

i think you should keep the mac pro its still a very fast machine and will serve its purpose for some time to come

i would, but it doesn't support thunderbolt. I either step up and purchase a Pro Tools Native System for about 5000.00 or I can buy a UAD Apollo with thunderbolt built in for about 2500.00. I need to eliminate my latency problems while tracking and these are my 2 choices so far. If I sell the Mac Pro and use the money to build a Hackintosh I am saving money in the long run all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back