Contribute
Register

Losing DHCP IP address on Ethernet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's in the title.

I'm using the hackintosh described in my profile (Gigabyte H87M-D3H, i5-4440, RX 570). System is up to date on Catalina.

My problem is sometimes, I lost the network connection. I can't ping the router, the computer seems to have lost its IP address (DHCP reserved). I tried to use a manual IP, same problem. I am pretty confident it's not the router, because I changed my FAI recently, and it comes with a new modem-router, but the problem is still there. The only solution I have found is to disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable. I tried to renew the DHCP but it does nothing.

These last days, I'm playing with an old computer that I turned into a NAS with TrueNAS. I created a SMB share to store data. And I noticed this : every time I try to upload data to the NAS, the problem is here.

I don't even know where to start and what to google...

Look at this ping :

I had similar problem (random connect/disconnect) on one of my build two years ago (Z77N-WIFI with dual realtek network interface)

you may try

1. install the debug version of the RealtekRTL8111.kext, check the kernel log

2. RealtekRTL8111.kext version 2.0.0, (less features but it is the most stable driver, other newer version sometimes will crash the system when the system enter the sleep mode.)

3. disable the RealtekRTL8111.kext enableEEE feature (edit the RealtekRTL8111.kext's info.plist)

4. I also try replaced the CPU cooling fan with a better one, since the Realtek LAN chip is very close to the CPU, I am afraid the problem was cased by overheating the LAN chip.

so far, after re-installed the CPU cooling fan and using the 2.0.0 driver, this build can online for >100 days without any network problem.

Hardly a cheap fix!

A cheap fix would be disabling the built-in ethernet port and installing a natively supported PCIe Intel Ethernet card, in a spare PCIe slot.
I wanted to buy one since they announced them. Actually I wanted to buy a Mac for years but I was always delaying for some reasons and the hackintosh was ok. But with the M1 it’s so new, different, powerful, etc so I decided to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back