i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,
Have any of you had issues with your Sample Instrument sample libraries not being found? When I built my Hack I did a fresh install of Logic 8, then ran the Logic 9 upgrade. For both procedures I chose to put the sample libraries on a separate data drive, since the OS and apps are on the SSD.

However, when working in a project this weekend I had an issue where Logic would lock up when I selected an ESX24 sample instrument. Here's the weird part, it's only on some of the samples, many of the instruments work fine. However, if I select any of the pianos in EXS24 I simply get a beachball and logic is unresponsive.

All of the Sample Instruments are located in the Application Support/Logic/Sample Instruments folder, with the actual sound files on the data drive. So all of the samples and instruments are in the same place, but only some work.

Kind of perplexing. Any thoughts on how to fix it? Thanks.

Spent a lil while trying to figure that one out, but i've perfected it.

Let me give you the lowdown as to why logic locks up first, so you better understand it.

EXS24 uses the spotlight feature to search for the samples contained within an exs instrument. When you open a new instrument that you haven't opened before, it needs to be catalouged by exs24 so it knows where the correct samples are for that instrument (and so that it doesn't have to search every volume everytime you open that instrument).

Two main things to do in this order...

The first, is the way in which you go about putting your extra exs instruments and samples on another drive:

1) Create the folder on your external drive that you want to contain your exs instruments. (I called mine "Virtual Instruments" as mine contains Kontakt and Gigastudio samples as well as exs24 stuff).

2) Right click the folder you just created and 'Create Alias'

3) Drag the alias to the 'Application Support/Logic/Sample Instruments' folder.

Secondly, how to improve the use of spotlight with exs24:

1) Go to System Prefs > Spotlight > Privacy

2) Press the '+' button

3) Add the volume/hard disk that contains the exs24 instruments (the volume you just made the virtual instrument folder on).

4) Press the '-' button and remove that same volume from the list.

5) Close System Prefs and wait for a minute til the spotlight icon in the top right of the screen starts re-indexing that hard drive.

then restart logic and fire up your instruments. it shouldn't lock up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back