Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey dudes, serious newb questions here.

I have run window all my life and am very, very familiar with it. I am considering a hackintosh project because from my recent interactions with os x, it just seems pretty nice, clean, fast, etc. etc. No need to defend myself there.

I remember over the year that I have heard lots of Mac OS X is a pretty version of Linux. How true is this?

Here is why I am wondering:

I can't decide if I want to do a desktop of a hackbook. I would buy a new MBP but they cost a fortune and are incredibly lacking in performance (IMHO). However there are lots and lots of laptops out there with ATI graphics, which if I remember correctly are not supported by OS X (SL)

However I went to AMD's website and they have a x86/x64 Linux driver for all of their Mobile 5xxx products. Can these be ported? What does that entail?

Very curious how mac and linux get along. I would even just consider Linux, but I am very wary of the lack of commercial software (I.E. word, etc. AND I would have to play all games in either a windows boot (no biggie) or via an emulator) That and I don't know unix code for s h i t.

Thanks for expanding my brain,
-Julian

:beachball:

jcrouch said:
I remember over the year that I have heard lots of Mac OS X is a pretty version of Linux. How true is this?
OS X is based on BSD... Not Linux, but a similar Unix system.

I would buy a new MBP
IMO, no other laptop comes even close to the quality of the MBPs !

Very curious how mac and linux get along.
Without any issues.

I would even just consider Linux, but I am very wary of the lack of commercial software (I.E. word, etc. AND I would have to play all games in either a windows boot (no biggie) or via an emulator)
There are free alternatives for almost everything... Firefox, OpenOffice.org...

That and I don't know unix code for s h i t.
Wonderful opportunity to learn ! ;)

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Ues no other laptop comes close to MBPs in quality, but that doesn't added their lack of "competitive" hardware..... And the problem is that most that are "competitive" (speaking mainly of graphics) use ATI. So back to the question, can linux drivers be ported?

jcrouch said:
So back to the question, can linux drivers be ported?
Probably yes, but very unlikely anyone will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back