Lenovo LNVNB161216
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620 (3840x2160)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all,

I'm trying to hack a Yoga c930 (NOT Yoga Book). But I have problems before I even get to BIOS settings.

Here is the system information from CPU-Z:

i7-8550U
MB: Lenovo LNVNB161216 (U3E1)
Chipset: Kaby Lake rev 08 ID5914
Southbridge: Intel Coffee Lake U/Y PVH rev 21 ID9D4E
Intel UHD 620 + 4K touchscreen
BIOS version: 8GCN30WW (latest – this laptop has been on the market perhaps for a month)

(The Intel WIFI is replaceable.)

I made a bootable USB stick from the *full* (not the latest odd 22 MB) version of Mojave 10.14.1.

The laptop's BIOS is incredibly sparse. Most of the options RehabMan recommended in his guide don't even exist in the BIOS, probably the most complicated one available is "Secure Boot". I have no idea what sort of motherboard a "LNVNB161216" is. Verbose boot ends very quickly with "Error!!! load Prelinked Kernel and Error Loading Kernel Cache 0x7". When I replace the Aptio fix with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, the installer crashes about a second later on "Error allocating 0x1231b pages at 0x00000000004690000 alloc type 2, couldn't allocate runtime area". If there is any option to enable advanced BIOS options, I don't see it.

Here is what the BIOS actually allowed me to do:
- "VT-d" (virtualization for directed i/o) should be disabled if possible (the config.plist includes dart=0 in case you can't do this)
- "secure boot " should be disabled
- "boot from USB" or "boot from external" enabled

This is it. All the other options in the laptop guide don't seem to exist in this BIOS at all.

I am completely stumped. Normally I would just continue tinkering, but there's very little to tinker with. Installer crashes within five seconds from choosing it in Clover. I am using RehabMan's Clover build, all latest kexts and drivers, .plists for 620 (tried both options, with and without spoofing). So before I start uploading my EFI folder etc. the question is – should I even bother trying with a machine that seems so have some sort of very weird motherboard and such minimal BIOS?

Thanks a lot for any answer!

Attachments

• 20181110_144118.jpg
    20181110_144118.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 884
Hello all,

I'm trying to hack a Yoga c930 (NOT Yoga Book). But I have problems before I even get to BIOS settings.

Here is the system information from CPU-Z:

i7-8550U
MB: Lenovo LNVNB161216 (U3E1)
Chipset: Kaby Lake rev 08 ID5914
Southbridge: Intel Coffee Lake U/Y PVH rev 21 ID9D4E
Intel UHD 620 + 4K touchscreen
BIOS version: 8GCN30WW (latest – this laptop has been on the market perhaps for a month)

(The Intel WIFI is replaceable.)

I made a bootable USB stick from the *full* (not the latest odd 22 MB) version of Mojave 10.14.1.

The laptop's BIOS is incredibly sparse. Most of the options RehabMan recommended in his guide don't even exist in the BIOS, probably the most complicated one available is "Secure Boot". I have no idea what sort of motherboard a "LNVNB161216" is. Verbose boot ends very quickly with "Error!!! load Prelinked Kernel and Error Loading Kernel Cache 0x7". When I replace the Aptio fix with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, the installer crashes about a second later on "Error allocating 0x1231b pages at 0x00000000004690000 alloc type 2, couldn't allocate runtime area". If there is any option to enable advanced BIOS options, I don't see it.

Here is what the BIOS actually allowed me to do:
- "VT-d" (virtualization for directed i/o) should be disabled if possible (the config.plist includes dart=0 in case you can't do this)
- "secure boot " should be disabled
- "boot from USB" or "boot from external" enabled

This is it. All the other options in the laptop guide don't seem to exist in this BIOS at all.

I am completely stumped. Normally I would just continue tinkering, but there's very little to tinker with. Installer crashes within five seconds from choosing it in Clover. I am using RehabMan's Clover build, all latest kexts and drivers, .plists for 620 (tried both options, with and without spoofing). So before I start uploading my EFI folder etc. the question is – should I even bother trying with a machine that seems so have some sort of very weird motherboard and such minimal BIOS?

Thanks a lot for any answer!
Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

I will be posting properly later – I need a break ;P

Clean install on external drive using RehabMan's laptop guide with 620 plist gives me the following:
– keyboard works, backlight handled by hardware
– all (three) USBs work (not sure whether as Thunderbolt, they display as USB 3.0)
– camera works OOB (this one really surprised me!)
– 4k detected, I can change it to 1920x1080, luckily
– no wifi, predictably, using dongle – needs replacing
– internal SSD not detected, which is good, because I don't want to do anything to my fragile Windows install – probably needs replacing, right now I don't care
– this is interesting: fans work. I think they are controlled by hardware. I was afraid it would either spin all the time or not at all, but if anything, they work the same as in Windows, when needed – just quieter.

What doesn't work and I tried and tried and tried:
– battery status (0% in Power Saving, %nan in Coconut)
– touchpad/touchscreen
– QE/CI – the card displays as "Intel Graphics UHD 620 31 MB" no matter what I try and do. The correct values for it seem to be 59178086, based on windows information, and 59170000, as with 5916 the computer won't boot. Initial boot required 0x12345678 platform-id not to stop at "IOConsoleUsers..."
– sound – at one point in desperation I hacked into VoodooHDA and all I got was a list of outputs between which I could switch to decide from which one I don't want to hear sound this time

Last night I started everything anew, because in the meantime I've added 100 patches, moved around kexts, etc. Fresh install is exactly as capable as the one I worked on for two days. It's as if no matter what I change, what I do with config.plist, how many times I rebuild cache, where I put the kexts – nothing changes. So I will definitely need help.

I'll be uploading a complete set of files shortly. For now i have the main answer: yes, Yoga C930 can run macOS.

Last edited:
Work in progress...

Got Intel UHD 620 (i7-8550) to work:
1. Kexts used: FakePCIID, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext in /Library/Extensions; Lilu.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext in /Clover/kexts/Other
2. added a HECI to IMEI, SAT0 to SATA patches in Clover Configurator (credit: @hauntix)
3. rebooted with platform-id 0x12345678, rebuilt cache
4. rebooted with platform-id 0x19168086, ig-platform-id=0x19160000

Full acceleration, card detected as UHD 620 with 1536 MB RAM, brightness slider works, scaling works correctly, brightness with keys doesn't work.

Sound sort of kind of works, but sounds thin and quiet in the speakers. I don't expect to get Dolby Atmos to work on a Hack, but at least I finally got it to make SOME sound. Volume +, -, mute works with keyboard.

Once I get it properly running I'll try to create some sort of guide, now continuing to fight the trackpad... but at this point I am already able to start using it as my "main computer" once I can replace the Wifi/bluetooth card and use a Magic Mouse. Right now I have a tiny USB wifi dongle from TP-Link working and no bluetooth, the Windows SSD is still not detected and I am still very happy about it because that means I can't accidentally format it ;)

Last edited:
I am truly an amazing person. I've spent the whole day doing DSDT patching for battery status and I couldn't work out why the hell it wasn't working. I've done EVERYTHING. And then...I found out that somehow I didn't have the ACPIBatteryManager.kext installed... I have the full patch in one file, will be sending it to RehabMan soon.

Remaining: trackpad, touchscreen, wondering whether I can get the sound to be louder – I got an EQ app to make it less tinny, but it's still very quiet. Plus according to Karabiner Event Viewer the brightness keys do not generate ANY event. As if they were not being pressed at all.

I am truly an amazing person. I've spent the whole day doing DSDT patching for battery status and I couldn't work out why the hell it wasn't working. I've done EVERYTHING. And then...I found out that somehow I didn't have the ACPIBatteryManager.kext installed... I have the full patch in one file, will be sending it to RehabMan soon.

Remaining: trackpad, touchscreen, wondering whether I can get the sound to be louder – I got an EQ app to make it less tinny, but it's still very quiet. Plus according to Karabiner Event Viewer the brightness keys do not generate ANY event. As if they were not being pressed at all.
i use boom3d and that makes the audio better

Thank you! It didn't get much louder – it starts crackling. But the surround effect and equaliser make it sound much better. I spent all evening trying to get AppleALC or AppleHDA to cooperate, but the amount of versions of Realtek's ALC298 cards seems to be staggering, there are tons of layouts and platform files, I gave up and returned to VoodooHDA.

I was going to see what happens in deep sleep (hibernation is off) but my SSD is on USB, and I disabled charge through USB in the BIOS, which perhaps wasn't very smart.

Touchpad success

works 100%, scroll, right-click in bottom right corner, multitouch gestures, everything works – just needed to do the GPIO pinning which looked terrifyingly difficult, but wasn't. It was more difficult for me to figure out which satellite kext to use. I am extremely pleased with the effects though!

Left to do: sleep/wake (it might be working once I don't disconnect the system drive by accident – I don't know), touchscreen, brightness via keys. Unless there is something I am missing, everything else works.

Should be getting the right screwdriver today so I can replace the wifi. I'm trying to decide what to do with the SSD. Because I know I can use it with Mojave, but I worry about something breaking down and me not having a perfect cloned copy of that SSD with its 85 partitions and pre-boot and Windows Automatic Repair and whatever other cr*p Lenovo put on there. At the same time, it's a fast and, well, expensive SSD... But those are first world problems by now.

All this wouldn't be happening if Apple didn't completely destroy the 3rd generation butterfly keyboard, but that's a whole different and very long story.

Thank you! It didn't get much louder – it starts crackling. But the surround effect and equaliser make it sound much better. I spent all evening trying to get AppleALC or AppleHDA to cooperate, but the amount of versions of Realtek's ALC298 cards seems to be staggering, there are tons of layouts and platform files, I gave up and returned to VoodooHDA.

I was going to see what happens in deep sleep (hibernation is off) but my SSD is on USB, and I disabled charge through USB in the BIOS, which perhaps wasn't very smart.

Touchpad success

works 100%, scroll, right-click in bottom right corner, multitouch gestures, everything works – just needed to do the GPIO pinning which looked terrifyingly difficult, but wasn't. It was more difficult for me to figure out which satellite kext to use. I am extremely pleased with the effects though!

Left to do: sleep/wake (it might be working once I don't disconnect the system drive by accident – I don't know), touchscreen, brightness via keys. Unless there is something I am missing, everything else works.

Should be getting the right screwdriver today so I can replace the wifi. I'm trying to decide what to do with the SSD. Because I know I can use it with Mojave, but I worry about something breaking down and me not having a perfect cloned copy of that SSD with its 85 partitions and pre-boot and Windows Automatic Repair and whatever other cr*p Lenovo put on there. At the same time, it's a fast and, well, expensive SSD... But those are first world problems by now.

All this wouldn't be happening if Apple didn't completely destroy the 3rd generation butterfly keyboard, but that's a whole different and very long story.
having ssd via usb is probably causing issues with sleep

glad your audio is working, i use AppleALC and you can test different layout id's. the wiki for AppleALC github has a list of compatible layoutID for each codec, sometimes it is just trial and error until one works out for you

Yeah, that's why I will work on sleep once I'm on the internal drive and on internal wifi.

I have to say I don't understand the layoutID.xml files for AppleALC. I found it, there are maybe even 15 files for ALC298. But other than patching AppleHDA (which I tried, no results, returned to vanilla kext) I have no clue what to do with them and believe me, I googled a LOT. I know Mojito breaks/removes a lot of layouts, I checked which ones were still present in the Mojito...oops, Mojave kext, but those layout-ids don't work either. I must be missing something. Like instructions on what to do with the layouts ;)

Yeah, that's why I will work on sleep once I'm on the internal drive and on internal wifi.

I have to say I don't understand the layoutID.xml files for AppleALC. I found it, there are maybe even 15 files for ALC298. But other than patching AppleHDA (which I tried, no results, returned to vanilla kext) I have no clue what to do with them and believe me, I googled a LOT. I know Mojito breaks/removes a lot of layouts, I checked which ones were still present in the Mojito...oops, Mojave kext, but those layout-ids don't work either. I must be missing something. Like instructions on what to do with the layouts ;)
your AppleHDA needs to be clean, re run the mac installer to refresh it if needs be

layouts that are compatible:
3, 11, 13, 28, 29, 30, 47, 66, 72, 99

you can use the Hackintool patcher to create a proper patch for your audio:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v1-7-3.254559/post-1764779

make sure your lilu, whatvergreen and applealc are the latest and installed to your system (as all your kexts should be)
How to install kexts:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-installing-kexts-macos-sierra-high-sierra-mojave.268964/

then if all fails:
Use the tool here and upload your problem reporting files:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back