1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
My laptop does not support UEFI booting so I followed the Clover guide to boot legacy BIOS.

First, I got my USB stick with the Yosemite installer booting fine.

Then I installed Yosemite over a Mavericks 10.9.5 install which had been booting Chimera in the EFI partition. (I'd had some trouble in the past getting Chimera to overwrite itself when I moved the hard drive to another computer and could not boot. I used the instructions in "Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition.") After the Yosemite install, I used the Clover pkg from source forge to install Clover.

I can boot fine using the Clover on the stick to boot the internal drive, but whenever I boot the internal drive I get the boot0 error.

But it only lets me install to the entire drive, not to a specific partition.
Maybe Chimera is still there in /dev/disk1s1?

I thought Clover could not have boot0 errors or is that only when UEFI booting?

Is there something I can do in Clover Configurator or the Clover installer package to fix this?

Here is the output of diskutil list

Code:
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk0[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   1:                      Linux                         995.9 GB   disk0s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   2:                 Linux_Swap                         4.3 GB     disk0s2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *480.1 GB   disk1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         479.2 GB   disk1s2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:                  Apple_HFS M500                   *478.9 GB   disk2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]                                 Logical Volume on disk1s2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]                                 91C27051-4231-49DF-A4C2-A983AB3EBDEB[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]                                 Unencrypted[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk3[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk3[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 CLOVER                  609.3 MB   disk3s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X Base System        7.4 GB     disk3s2[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited:
My laptop does not support UEFI booting so I followed the Clover guide to boot legacy BIOS.

First, I got my USB stick with the Yosemite installer booting fine.

Then I installed Yosemite over a Mavericks 10.9.5 install which had been booting Chimera in the EFI partition. (I'd had some trouble in the past getting Chimera to overwrite itself when I moved the hard drive to another computer and could not boot. I used the instructions in "Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition.") After the Yosemite install, I used the Clover pkg from source forge to install Clover.

I can boot fine using the Clover on the stick to boot the internal drive, but whenever I boot the internal drive I get the boot0 error.

But it only lets me install to the entire drive, not to a specific partition.
Maybe Chimera is still there in /dev/disk1s1?

I thought Clover could not have boot0 errors or is that only when UEFI booting?

Is there something I can do in Clover Configurator or the Clover installer package to fix this?

Here is the output of diskutil list

Code:
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk0[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   1:                      Linux                         995.9 GB   disk0s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   2:                 Linux_Swap                         4.3 GB     disk0s2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *480.1 GB   disk1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         479.2 GB   disk1s2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:                  Apple_HFS M500                   *478.9 GB   disk2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]                                 Logical Volume on disk1s2[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]                                 91C27051-4231-49DF-A4C2-A983AB3EBDEB[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]                                 Unencrypted[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]/dev/disk3[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk3[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 CLOVER                  609.3 MB   disk3s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X Base System        7.4 GB     disk3s2[/FONT][/COLOR]

You probably have a 4k disk and need to transfer the Clover stage1 bootloader to your EFI partition (or maybe your M500 volume, since you have it active... depends on the boot0 you're using).

Clover UEFI doesn't have boot0 errors as it doesn't use MBR/boot0 code.

ok, I don't understand. I gave up on the clover installer pkg and I followed the Instructions.txt found on the CLOVER partition and I just get depending on which boot0 I pick:

boot0ss: error_

or

boot0af: error_

This is what I did:
I booted from the unibeast stick and went to the directory full of boot stuff:

- Install boot0ss to the MBR:
fdisk440 -f boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdisk1

- Install boot1h2 to the partition's bootsector:
sudo dd if=boot1h2 of=/dev/rdisk1s2

I tried it with both boot0ss and boot0af.

The root filesystem is in a "logical partition" called disk2 inside of /dev/disk1s2?

I used fdisk to mark /dev/disk1s2 active.

ok, I don't understand. I gave up on the clover installer pkg and I followed the Instructions.txt found on the CLOVER partition and I just get depending on which boot0 I pick:

boot0ss: error_

or

boot0af: error_

This is what I did:
I booted from the unibeast stick and went to the directory full of boot stuff:

fdisk440 -f boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdisk1

- Install boot1h2 to the partition's bootsector:
sudo dd if=boot1h2 of=/dev/rdisk1s2

I tried it with both boot0ss and boot0af.

The root filesystem is in a "logical partition" called disk2 inside of /dev/disk1s2?

I used fdisk to mark /dev/disk1s2 active.

Logical partition? Bad idea... Post output of 'sudo fdisk /dev/disk1'... And also, this is a multi-disk system?

Logical partition? Bad idea... Post output of 'sudo fdisk /dev/disk1'... And also, this is a multi-disk system?

It is a multidisk system:

disk0: I have a Linux in a hard drive in a caddy replacing the DVDROM

disk1: M500 Hackintosh

disk2: the USB stick I am booting Clover from.

Err, actually it was "logical volume" in the output of diskutil list. I don't know how it got there and I have been avoiding them since the time of DOS 5.

Code:
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]Disk: /dev/disk1  [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]geometry: 58369/255/63 [937703088 sectors][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]Signature: 0xAA55[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]         Starting       Ending[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -  937703087] <Unknown ID>[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused 
[/FONT][/COLOR]

btw, if I take out the caddy, all the diskN go to disk(N-1).

If I put the DVDROM in the caddy, Clover (on USB stick) won't boot at all and kicks me out to some kind of graphical UEFI shell thing.

It is a multidisk system:

disk0: I have a Linux in a hard drive in a caddy replacing the DVDROM

disk1: M500 Hackintosh

disk2: the USB stick I am booting Clover from.

Err, actually it was "logical volume" in the output of diskutil list. I don't know how it got there and I have been avoiding them since the time of DOS 5.

Code:
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]Disk: /dev/disk1  [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]geometry: 58369/255/63 [937703088 sectors][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]Signature: 0xAA55[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]         Starting       Ending[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -  937703087] <Unknown ID>[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier] 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused 
[/FONT][/COLOR]

"Logical volume" is completely different from MBR "Logical partitions." Your fdisk output shows a pure-GPT system. Logical volumes have more to do with Fusion or other Core Storage schemes, I believe.

I got it booting from /dev/disk1s1, avoiding the logical volume mess.

I reformatted the EFI partition HFS+ and copied the Clover stuff from the stick into it, then redid the
boot sector skullduggery:
Code:
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]- Install boot0af to the MBR:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]fdisk440 -f boot0af -u -y /dev/rdisk1[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]- Install boot1h2 to the partition's bootsector:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]sudo dd if=boot1h2 of=/dev/rdisk1s1[/COLOR]
I had formatted it FAT32 when I still held out hope the UEFI booting might work and was following the instructions to set up Clover UEFI.

I got it booting from /dev/disk1s1, avoiding the logical volume mess.

I reformatted the EFI partition HFS+ and copied the Clover stuff from the stick into it, then redid the
boot sector skullduggery:
Code:
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]- Install boot0af to the MBR:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]fdisk440 -f boot0af -u -y /dev/rdisk1[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]- Install boot1h2 to the partition's bootsector:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]sudo dd if=boot1h2 of=/dev/rdisk1s1[/COLOR]
I had formatted it FAT32 when I still held out hope the UEFI booting might work and was following the instructions to set up Clover UEFI.

With the right boot record code, you can keep EFI at FAT32. It is handy to be able to read/write it from Windows.

With the right boot record code, you can keep EFI at FAT32. It is handy to be able to read/write it from Windows.

Below is what I was going to use to keep the FAT32, but when I saw how much simpler it was to do HFS+ I decided against it.

I don't have windows and I think Linux supports HFS+ r/w now, so I can mount it from Ubuntu or Unibeast USB stick if I have to.

EFI Partition Install (FAT32) or to USB stick drive (disk1s1).---------------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s1

- Prepare EFI partition:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI/

- Install clover to the EFI partition's root directory:
cp boot /Volumes/EFI/
sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI/

sudo fdisk440 -f boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1f32alt to the partition's bootsector:

sudo fdisk440 -f boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512 of=origbs