Laptop / Multibeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Aspire 8730G
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6500 @ 2.10GHz Penryn 45nm Technology
Graphics
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I'm new to the whole hackinthosh scene, trying to get my laptop to be into an hackintosh.

I grabbed a legit copy of Mountain Lion 10.6 and installed it with iBoot.

Everything seemed to work perfectly out of the box: graphics, sound, keyboard, touchpad. After I installed the Moutain Lion 6.8 patch and Multibeast, everything crashed. I rebooted and got crappy resolution, keyboard & touchpad not working...

I followed this tutorial right here:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.ca/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

Is multibeast suppose to work with laptops? Can I just install the patch and do not install multibeast? Is there some settings I need to do in multibeast? Do I need to get a custom DSDT? Can someone point me to the right direction? :confused:

I read the laptop information topic which confirmed me it wouldn't be possible to get my wifi card work out of the box.

If I can possibly get the ethernet fixed it would be nice but I want to focus on why does Multibeast crashes my install for now and then go on the ethernet issues.

Here's my laptop specs. Let me know if you need more information.

Acer Aspire 8730G
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6500 @ 2.10GHz Penryn 45nm Technology
Acer BigBear2 (U2E1)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device (SATA)
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Thanks,
Julien

Do you have mountain lion or snow leopard? Snow Leopard is 10.6 and Mountain lion is 10.8. By the looks of the method you followed it looks like you have snow leopard 10.6.

You shouldn't need a dsdt to get the basics running. What all worked before you used multi beast and what options did you check in multibeast?

This is always a good place to start for new multibeast users (if you're using snow leopard, you'll be using an older version of multibeast so there will be some slight differences):
http://www.tonymacx86.com/guidebeast.php?halp=multibeast#guide_top

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, It's 10.6 Snow Leopard, I made a mistake by saying Mountain Lion.

Indeed, the multi beast version I used does not look at all like the link you posted.

It's more like this:

30.png

I did according to the tutorial:

1. All others select EasyBeast
  2. Select System Utilities.

I did not check any drivers, only these two options.

I did not find any valid driver in the list for my type of ethernet card (there's only 3 models in the list thought..).

What worked before the multibeast install and didn't after:

• Keyboard
  • Touchpad
  • Screen resolution was very poor after install (I'm pretty sure it was at it's maximum capacity before)
  • Not sure if Audio stopped to worked, but it also worked before.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

Also as the tutorial says, I need to install 10.8 patch just before running Multibeast, which I did.

It says multibeast needs to run while the patch installs. Alsos says it might crash, but to re-open it if it does.

It actually crashed while the patch installed, and I did re-open... Not sure if that can help...

Thanks again for the help,
Julien

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, It's 10.6 Snow Leopard, I made a mistake by saying Mountain Lion.

Indeed, the multi beast version I used does not look at all like the link you posted.

It's more like this:

View attachment 79187

I did according to the tutorial:

1. All others select EasyBeast
  2. Select System Utilities.

I did not check any drivers, only these two options.

I did not find any valid driver in the list for my type of ethernet card (there's only 3 models in the list thought..).

What worked before the multibeast install and didn't after:

• Keyboard
  • Touchpad
  • Screen resolution was very poor after install (I'm pretty sure it was at it's maximum capacity before)
  • Not sure if Audio stopped to worked, but it also worked before.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

Thanks again for the help,
Julien

Before installing things with Multibeast you were booting using iBoot. iBoot has a bunch of drivers that you didn't install. PS2 drivers for your keyboard/touchpad, VoodooHDA for audio, for example. There is a ton of rollbacks/hacks/patched kexts/extra kexts, etc. on iBoot. As a result, the game changes quite a bit when you transition from iBoot to your "clean" install. In addition, iBoot boots everything in 32-bit mode, which further changes the driver situation. After Multibeast, you're running 64-bit.

Graphics is going to depend on how to get your Nvidia 9800GT working. Sorry, I do not know what is involved as I have no experience with the older hardware.

Wow, thanks for the bunch of info. I didn't even know there were drivers on iBoot.

Is there a way to install drivers from iBoot and then procede with the Multibeast installation without drivers?

If not, I wouldn't really mind running in 32bit and using the iBoot CD to boot it up everytime - If only I could get ethernet working. In that case, could I apply the 10.8 patch without installing Multibeast afterwards?

Also, would there be less compatibility issue using some more recent OS distributions / which means more recent Multibeast installer?

Thanks again,
Julien

Wow, thanks for the bunch of info. I didn't even know there were drivers on iBoot.

Is there a way to install drivers from iBoot and then procede with the Multibeast installation without drivers?

If not, I wouldn't really mind running in 32bit and using the iBoot CD to boot it up everytime - If only I could get ethernet working. In that case, could I apply the 10.8 patch without installing Multibeast afterwards?

Well you could copy the iBoot configuration from /Extra/ on the iBoot disc. But I think you would find the result not really appropriate, especially for a laptop.

Not sure what you mean by the "10.8" patch. There is no Mountain Lion "patch"... just an installer, paid for and downloaded from Apple.

Also, would there be less compatibility issue using some more recent OS distributions / which means more recent Multibeast installer?

The main issue is going to be making your graphics work. And really, I don't know much about the 9800GT and support in OS X. Apple is pretty aggressive with dropping support for old hardware in new versions of OS X.

For the graphics, you will need to create a custom dsdt. I found on another website a very lengthy dsdt edit I attached. It goes into device (VGA) and straight above Device (CRT) inside of it.
The DSDT edits are usually the last thing I do though so you may want to focus on everything else first.

Attachments

• nvidia GeForce 9600M GT.txt
    22.7 KB · Views: 143
When you first boot with iboot, could you run system info and take a screenshot of all of the devices? I think it works with snow leopard.

Attachments

• System Info.app.zip
    463.8 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back