2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey there, So I'm finally outgrowing space on my Macbook pro! As I don't use it all that much nowadays, I want to backup all my raw data from the MBP and load it all onto my Hackintosh. Now, I already have a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB installed with 10.9.1 that I use for high performance work (Audio/Video/Photography) and I don't want to clutter it with files from my old mac. My thought was to add in a 2nd system drive and put Mavericks on that one as well. Since this drive would be for lower end computing and I don't feel the need to go SSD, I got a 2TB WD Black and plan to use that for casual use. I know Chimera gets fussy and boot0 rears it's troublesome head with anything larger than a 1TB HDD, but I read about some folks getting around that by dividing the drive with multiple partitions, installing an OS on one that doesn't exceed 1 TB, running Multibeast and then deleting the other partitions for a full capacity system. I was down to try this and have gotten as far as installing Mavericks onto the WD Black. My issue now however is that although the new drive is recognized in my boot options, the OS loads and stalls at the Apple/spinning gear window. Alas, I'm at a loss for a remedy. Can anyone shed some insight on how to make this work?

*I probably should add that I'm using the same USB key I used for my SSD to install the OS on my traditional drive. I'm not sure that makes a difference or not.

As always, the help is greatly appreciated.

When you installed on the WD black, did you disconnect all other drives first?
After installation, did you run MultiBeast and select the exact same items to install as you did when installing to the SSD?

When you installed on the WD black, did you disconnect all other drives first?
After installation, did you run MultiBeast and select the exact same items to install as you did when installing to the SSD?

I had not disconnected my other drives when I installed my system. Does that make a difference?

As for running Multibeast on the WD Black, I couldn't get that far. Right after I install 10.9 and try to boot into the disk I encounter my issue.

I had not disconnected my other drives when I installed my system. Does that make a difference?

As for running Multibeast on the WD Black, I couldn't get that far. Right after I install 10.9 and try to boot into the disk I encounter my issue.

Not sure why you want to do an install on the WD - why not use your current OS X to format and partition the HDD and use CCC or SuperDuper to clone your existing install? Then run MultiBeast, selecting only the bootloader (everything else was cloned from the original) and install it. Or download the stand alone Chimera installer and install with it. You can do this from your current install without rebooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back