Contribute
Register

Intel VT-d - Big performance boost in Parallels Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused about I would get a processor with or without VT-d support. Does VT-d increase the speed in programs like Parallels Desktop? Oldy Windows XP will run under Parallels Desktop.

I'm going between Core i7-870 and Core i7-875K. The price between them isnt that big and they are clocked at the same speed. K model has an unlocked multipler and then easier to overclock but dont support VT-d.

Is VT-d going to give a big performance increase so 875K is just like throwing money in the bin? I have searched but havent found any information if VT-d will give a performance boost in visualization like Parallels Desktop. It would be nice to see a performance test.

I just got the hold of this article, http://www.anandtech.com/show/3742/inte ... nalysed-/8 , and I prefer a silent system over speed. The limit of the processor seems to be around 3,7 GHz after that it goes crazy. This puts the last nail in the coffin for 875K processor.

ONly reason to go with the 875K is if you want to over-clock by only raising the multiplier. Otherwise it's a waste. Needing VT-D depends on how much or how much work you need your VM to do. If you are simply running one VM that you open every now and then, not that important. If you use many or do some serious work with a VM, then you will likely benefit from it.

Now I remember. VT-d is better because it helps virtual machines to share the hardware better between the virtual machines. Less software visualization performance loss that instead goes directly to the virtual machines performance benefits instead.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back