i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Update 12/1/23 This sold out at the $211 price on Newegg. Amazon.com still has it or you can buy the KF version.

These normally sell for around $300 to $320 on most sites. If you want to build that last Hackintosh before Intel support ends this is a good choice.

The i9-12900K gives you an extra 4 E-cores that don't really do much for the performance of your hackintosh macOS install. It also costs about $100 more.

Here's a comparison of the Apple M2 SoC vs. the i7-12700K

Biggest difference is in Multi-core performance and integrated graphics. If you run macOS though you won't be using the Intel iGPU. You'd use something like an RX 6600 or better which is much more powerful.

Screen Shot 19.jpg

If you use Logic Pro for audio production, here's how many tracks the i7-12700K can handle. 110 more than the M2 Max Mac Studio. The M2 Mac mini 8GB/500GB, that sells for around $800, only 80 tracks.

Screen Shot 21.jpg

Last edited:
Pair your new i7 CPU with this Z690 board and you've got a great foundation for a new build that can run macOS Sonoma, Windows 11 or most any flavor of Linux. If you already have DDR4 ram, get the D4 version of this board.

DDR5 version: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09RKTL5L3/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

DDR4 version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J1S2LDS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
1700742404855.png

Add a 32GB 5200 MHz DDR5 ram kit.

Last edited:
Here's a detailed guide you can follow when using this CPU and mobo combo. Remember that Broadcom Wifi/BT cards lost native support in Sonoma so if you have one, install Ventura and wait for a better solution than the current OCLP root patching version most people use now. Here's everything that works when using a natively supported Broadcom card.

What Works?
• Shutdown, restart
• Sleep, wake
• AppleTV, Music, App Store, iCloud
• FaceTime, Messages
• Handoff, Continuity (Clipboard, Camera) , AirDrop, Universal Control, SMS
• Phone Unlock with Apple Watch
• WiFi (802.11ac) + Bluetooth
• Intel i225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet

This is CaseySJ's report on using the OCLP patching for Broadcom cards in Sonoma.
The OCLP patch may or may not work.
  • On my Designare Z390 it does not work even though it installs
  • On my Asus Z690 ProArt it does not install
  • On my Asus Z690-i mini-ITX it installs and works
  • On my Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Ryzen) it corrupted the system, but I was able to erase the disk and recover from a backup

Last edited:
Here's the complete 12th gen build cost when buying the DDR5 version from Amazon today. This assumes you already have an ATX case and PSU available to use. You get a 2TB NVMe, 32GB of ram along with the i7 CPU and Asus motherboard. That's 4x the RAM and storage of the current M2 Mac mini for about the same cost.

The mini gives you a paltry 8GB of RAM you can never upgrade and a 512GB NVMe SSD. The best part about the 12th gen hackintosh is the ease of upgrading and replacing parts when you choose to.

Cost of complete Asus DDR5 hackintosh $863 --- vs. $799 spent on a M2 Mac mini 512 GB / 8GB ram.

Screen Shot 18.jpg

Screen Shot 19.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 17.jpg
    Screen Shot 17.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
If you don't have a case or PSU here's what I'd suggest for good quality at a low price. $165 total.
That would bring your new build grand total to $883. Only $84 more than the under specced M2 Mac mini.

Screen Shot 18.jpg

Last edited:
Seems this motherboard doesn't support DDR4 RAM according to the manual. Kinda confusing...

Seems this motherboard doesn't support DDR4 RAM
That's right, some are DDR5 only. I've updated previous posts to reflect that. Post #4 has the complete DDR5 parts list from Amazon. When I built my first hackintosh back in 2011 you couldn't get anything close to this for that small amount of money. Progress is good.

The DDR4 versions of this board will have D4 in the header of the listing. For those that already have DDR4 RAM.
it makes sense to get this version.
Screen Shot 17.jpg

Last edited:
That's right, some are DDR5 only. I've updated previous posts to reflect that.

The DDR4 versions of this board will have D4 in the header of the listing. For those that already have DDR4 RAM.
it makes sense to get this version.
View attachment 575172
Yep, I'll have to order some DDR5 RAM then. More future-proof at least.

Last edited:
Back