6500 i5
Graphics
n/a
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Morning people.
I'm having a slight issue with trying to add more ram. I already have 8gb of ram in 3 and 4 of the ram slots. I was trying to put the 16gb of ram in 1 and 2, all it did after instalation was power up the motherboard and then switch off after a while then try and power up again with i had no graphics. I Really wanted to put 24gb ram and have it sitting ready but not sure what to do now..

Can someone help me here?

Morning people.
I'm having a slight issue with trying to add more ram. I already have 8gb of ram in 3 and 4 of the ram slots. I was trying to put the 16gb of ram in 1 and 2, all it did after instalation was power up the motherboard and then switch off after a while then try and power up again with i had no graphics. I Really wanted to put 24gb ram and have it sitting ready but not sure what to do now..

Can someone help me here?

Usually matched pairs of RAM need to be installed in alternating slots (i.e. put the 8GB DIMMs in slots 0 and 2, and the 4GB DIMMs in slots 1 and 3). The slots are often color-coded to make this clearer (one pair black, one pair another color). Check your motherboard manual for instructions on how to install the RAM.

Thanks again dude!
It now works and reads 24gb ram.

Hi, I have 16Gb DDR4 installed on Gigabyte z170-hd3P, but I only see in about this mac "memory" 8 Gb.
I have installing in alternating slots. How is work the system, with 8gb or 16gb? is cosmetical info in "about this mac" or is real?
Sorry for my English!

Hi, I have 16Gb DDR4 installed on Gigabyte z170-hd3P, but I only see in about this mac "memory" 8 Gb.
I have installing in alternating slots. How is work the system, with 8gb or 16gb? is cosmetical info in "about this mac" or is real?
Sorry for my English!

I don't know if it's cosmetic or real. Does your BIOS see all 16GB? Double-check your motherboard's manual about which order to populate the RAM slots.

I have installing in alternating slots.

Check with your motherboard model. Not all mobos need RAM installed in alternating slots!

Today I upgraded to 24GB, on my motherboard, this arrangement didn't work... computer just reboots after turning it on.

4GB - 8GB - 4GB - 8GB

Then I changed it to

4GB - 4GB - 8GB - 8GB

then boom! Computer successfully booted, and I now see 24GB total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back