Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I'm a Win veteran but practically newbie in MAC. This is what I would REALLY like to do:

1. I own a HP pavilion dv6
2. I have WIN7 with everything I need in it, would have a lot of trouble if I had to reinstall EVERYTHING
3. I want MAC on my PC, mainly for GarageBand and Logic Pro
4. I only have a 500gigs hdd in this laptop

The question is: is there anything I can do to install Mountain Lion on a partition on my HDD WITHOUT losing my WIN7 installation?

The question is: is there anything I can do to install Mountain Lion on a partition on my HDD WITHOUT losing my WIN7 installation?

No. You would have to reformat the HDD. Your best bet is purchase/install another HDD for OS X.

If your version of this hp is the one with the AMD CPU then you can forget OS X on it.

No. You would have to reformat the HDD. Your best bet is purchase/install another HDD for OS X.

If your version of this hp is the one with the AMD CPU then you can forget OS X on it.

Neah mate...it's the one with i5 CPU. Thanks a lot for the infos. :) It seems that WIN wins over OSX once again for me :)

Cheers!

No, unless you get get a another drive for OS X and then swap them.

Hi again,

So I got another drive: a 500gb HDD inside an e-rack, connected thorugh e-sata port I've got on the laptop. Windows install is on the inside drive and I intend to install osx on this other drive. Will I lose WIN installation this way? Can I dual boot this way? Can you point me to a tutorial for this multi-boot loading?

Hi again,

So I got another drive: a 500gb HDD inside an e-rack, connected thorugh e-sata port I've got on the laptop. Windows install is on the inside drive and I intend to install osx on this other drive. Will I lose WIN installation this way? Can I dual boot this way? Can you point me to a tutorial for this multi-boot loading?

Best thing you can do is remove the Windows drive from the laptop and connect the new drive. This way you know Windows won't be touched.

Install OS X and get it working (sometimes hard to do (or impossible) with a laptop). Then swap the Windows drive back in and put the OS X drive in your eSATA case.

When you want to boot OS X, connect the eSATA and hit the hotkey that allows you to select a boot device option in BIOS, select the OS X drive and hit enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back