Contribute
Register

i7 4790k 4.0GHz - New Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't recommend people disassemble iMacs; again, if anything goes wrong, the Apple main boards are expensive to replace. I can only speak for my 27" 2010 model. Removing its glass was simple, held on by magnets it took twenty seconds using two £1 sink plungers that I already had. If determined to upgrade, follow especially the iFixit and OWC teardown videos for your particular model, so you aren't caught out by the panel's easy to damage ribbon cables. They list needed tools. Thank you £1 store. Avoid fingerprinting the panel. I disassembled in a dusted bathroom but used my £1 can of compressed air. The OWC and iFixit guides for your particular model help assess the difficulty level. If impatient, avoid. Either way, if a main board stopped working on you... who needs that stress?

I find it hard to compare an iMac to a hackintosh. The iMac is stunning to look at, plug it in and go, friends and clients ooh-and-ah, it's
close to inaudible except under load (unless you get a model with a rouge HD) and the screen is a joy (I love my Dell panel but it wasn't cheap or aesthetically as nice). We go hackintosh to save money, to hit better benchmarks if needed, and we enjoy making things and can factor in a some time for any niggles along the way. I built a heavily vented sound-deadening enclosure for my modded (new holes for intake/exhaust Noctua fans/NH-D14 on fan speed reducers) Antec Sonata IV case to sit in. Though it helps reduce obnoxious gaming noise, my hackintosh goes under the desk, either way!

What trs96 recommends sounds sensible. I am holding off on my next build until I know that the Z97 board I want works fully. The 4790K looks great at stock; apparently running 5 degrees cooler than the 4770K. It doesn't appear to be the stellar overclocker that we faintly hoped for but, at stock speed, even if you don't do well in the so called silicon lottery, it turbos up to 4.4, apparently beating an overclocked 4770K running at the same speed. Plan B is get a cheaper i3 CPU with hyperthreading, as a stopgap until Broadwell, next Spring. Best of luck with whatever you go for.

The latest model "27 inch late 2013" iMac makes it much easier for user upgrade of the ram so that
makes perfect sense to save some money there. http://youtu.be/VovLc8vWasw?t=5m25s this shows how you install it through an opening in the back of the panel. I applaud Apple on that change!

To upgrade the HDD to an SSD though does require removing the front glass panel.
Much more difficult to do and requires special tools. Going with the factory installed
512 GB SSD is also the best way to go.

@rptech you've made a good choice for your unique needs, what everyone in this community is
trying to do based on what they will use their build for and what their budget allows. Hope you
enjoy that beautiful new iMac sitting on the desk in your new office. :)

Tomorrow i put the i7-4790k on a gigabyte z87x-ud3h..... first, you need to know that the motherboard is NOT oob 4790k compatible.....

I had to buy also a $40 celeron..... just to flash the BIOS !
Gigabyte doesn't allow you to flash from a usb key without CPU. Some Asus board did.... i've been told.

I will also use a Saphire 7970 vaporX graphic card.... quasi equivalent to Mac Pro's Ati D700.
If it realy works as a D700 -> will add a second one.

At first, i was thinking about dual CPU workstations:
- Taking a MacPro 3,1 Early 2008 with 2 Xeon 4 cores, add 32GB RAM, SSDs ....etc
- Buying a Dell T5500 or T7500 (dual Xeon 6 cores)
- Buying a HP Z800 or 820 (dual Xeon 6 cores too)

But all these computers, while 4-5-6 years old.... aren't cheap enough !

And according to geekbench tests, a single 4790k blows up (in 64 bits multicore test) all those dual Xeon workstations so..... For the same price, i preefer having a whole new computer with up to date elements.

Will post my findings and setup for z87x-UD3H + i7-4790k as soon i finish. If some of you, fellow hackintoshers as advices or tips & trics... will appreciate your help too.

For now:
- Bios F10b from gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481#bios
- This funny girl talks about a i7-4790k SSDT: http://girlintroverted.wordpress.com/hackintosh/

Teo

Will post my findings and setup for z87x-UD3H + i7-4790k as soon i finish. If some of you, fellow hackintoshers as advices or tips & trics... will appreciate your help too.

For now:
- Bios F10b from gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481#bios
- This funny girl talks about a i7-4790k SSDT: http://girlintroverted.wordpress.com/hackintosh/

Teo

Ok, when i receive the board, it was running F7 bios.... no luck !
FYI, typical symptoms of a non recognized CPU: boot cycling before bios POST, no infos on motherboard's LED digits or no boot cycling if using only master bios but nothing else on LEDs.

So i first ordered a cheap Celeron 1840 in socket 1150, just for flashing the bios. Bummer, it turns out the Celeron 1840 is part of Haswell "refresh" family.... so after another go to the shop, i was finaly able to flash the Gigabyte z87x-UD3H with a Celeron 1820 ("Haswell" only!).

Bios setup is classical: no Vt-d, no virtualization, no wake on lan.

I booted unibeast and made my Mavricks install on target SSD, then reboot.

My setup for Multibeast 6.4.0:
=> Easybeast
+ Audio: Realtek ALC898
+ Disk: 3rd party SATA + TRIM Enabler: 10.9.4 TRIM Patch
+ Misc: All but PS/2 Keayboard...
+ Network: Intel AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0

Boot options:
+ Basic boot options
+ Generate CPU States
+ Hibernate Mode - Desktop
+ Use KernelCache
+ 1080p Display Mode