Contribute
Register

i5-655K and i7-875K unlocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
carbine said:
They did... but raised the price to $329.00 Guess they are selling pretty well.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0337971
That's the problem I find with MicroCenter, prices seem to be a moving target. Though I have seen price increases on the web site not in the store.

But man they do have great prices at times. I purchased my Core i5-750 from them back in January for $149!

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this problem is solved yet, but the reason the intel K series don't come with heatsinks/fans is because they were made for overclocking, and even intel knows that their fans don't stand a chance when you get the 875K to 5 GHz lol.

Anyways, I just bought a 875k... I'll test it with Snow Leopard once my Hyper 212 Plus arrives... which should be by next saturday! :D

jimx86 said:
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this problem is solved yet, but the reason the intel K series don't come with heatsinks/fans is because they were made for overclocking, and even intel knows that their fans don't stand a chance when you get the 875K to 5 GHz lol.

The problem is solved. As Lnx2Mac suggested, this does fix 'the problem' of people using Intel fans on these cpus ;)

carbine said:
this does fix 'the problem' of people using Intel fans on these cpus
:D ROFL :D :clap:

Definitely no fan in that box :!: It's barely bigger than a CD

i7-875.jpg

I'll pop it in tomorrow and see how it works.

Attachments

• i7-875.jpg
    i7-875.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 160
Installed i7-875 (and Noctua-NH-D14 cooler) and started up and it works as expected.

Geekbench 64 score went from 10000 to 10700 (as expected minor 2.8 to 2.94 clock bump)
Idle temp 24C :!: Love that cooler - Thanks for the recommendation, Lnx2Mac :clap: It did fit (barely) over the ripjaws. It is very, very quiet.

I'll have a go at bumping the clock up now and see what it can do.

That's good to know. I'll be installing once my Hyper 212 comes in... Still no sign yet.

This will be my first hack, so I'm glad the 875 is compatible!

Hey again, my cooler should be arriving soon, so I just have a question about the CPU before I get started. Could anyone provide some kind of overclocking guide/tutorial on the 875K? Since it's unlocked, there should be a different way of overclocking it right? That's supposedly easier?

Edit: sorry for the double post

how can i use speedstepping with the core i7 875k processor?
just use the iMac 11,1 smbios? or is that only for the i5 750 and the i7 860??

edgarf28 said:
how can i use speedstepping with the core i7 875k processor?
just use the iMac 11,1 smbios? or is that only for the i5 750 and the i7 860??

Speedstep works in the i7-875k. It should automatically work once you use Multibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back