Contribute
Register

I think this is a safe Lion question to ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
Radeon RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I believe I read somewhere on MacRumors that Lion would have the ability to reboot automatically if the machine crashes. This used to be limited to the server OS, but now the client will have it too. I really want that since I've had stability issues with my real Mac for the past year, and really need my desktop Mac working all the time since I want to access it remotely when traveling.

My question: Do you think that type of functionality would require specialized hardware that a Hackintosh wouldn't have? Based on all the trouble Hackintoshes generally have with sleep, do you think this reboot functionality would be problematic? I'd be bummed if I went through the work of building a Hackintosh, only to find out I couldn't get what I consider one of the saving graces of Lion (along with Versions).

Thanks,
Ken

I'll be speaking in General, not for a specific OS.
Reboot or restart is a function of the OS. It's up to the OS what to do if a crash happens.
It can give the control back to the EFI/BIOS for such events. The EFI/BIOS just do it's job and warm boot the system, and the cycle continues.

But if it's a hardware crash, then there's nothing the OS can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back