Contribute
Register

I need help with a hardware upgrade, gen 10 or 13?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 AUROS ELITE AX
CPU
i7-13700KF
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I still have an I7 4790K, which is already starting to drag for the tasks I need. Other components, Z97X UDH5, 32GB RAM, AMD Saphire Vega 56, SN770 1TB, and a few more SSD discs.

My big question is, intel generation 10 or 13? Which one offers better compatibility/performance for macOS Ventura? Is the 10th generation more compatible, but on the other hand, does it lose performance to the 13th? Or is the 13th equally compatible? If not, where does it lose?

After choosing the generation, the question would be between the I5 or I7, does the I7 pay off for the use I'm going to give it? I use the computer for work, photo editing, and very rarely video (very simple things).

By the way, which board/ram do you recommend?

As for the graphics, I was thinking of keeping it for the time being.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

See you soon,

Have a look in the Golden Builds forum.

There you will find complete Guides for both the 10th and 12th Gen systems running macOS. The Z690 build using a 12th Gen CPU can also work with a 13th Gen CPU.

Personally, I would recommend following one of CaseySJ's guides as he is very thorough when creating his guides.

As to which is better I would have to say the 13th Gen, as it is 3 years newer and you would think has a more powerful and faster CPU/RAM etc.

The 10th Gen was the last Intel Chipset/Series Apple natively supported. It is going to be the last Generation of Intel CPU's dropped from support, at the end of the Intel Mac timeline. So a 10th Gen system will be supported by new macOS releases for possibly 2 years, before Apple decide Intel systems only get Security Updates. With new releases of MacOS only available for Apple Silicon/Arm systems.

The better 10th Gen CPUs and Motherboards are not as easy to find brand new. Where they are found new, they are usually the lower end CPUs and motherboards (MSI).

As this is a work system you would be ill-advised to opt for a 3/4year old system.

Back