Asus N56VM
CPU
i7 3610QM
Graphics
GT 630M / HD 4000, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey,
In couple weeks I'm going to install hackintosh to my laptop (Asus N56VM) and the last time I tried it I screwed it and had to start over again. I backed up my (existing) Windows installation with AOMEI Backupper as System Backup. This backed up the Windows partition and the one in front of it (100mb, System Reservered what is on this partition btw?). Then I restored it after installing OSX and couldn't boot either OS..
Anyway what is the proper way to backup my Windows to restore it after I installed OSX correctly? Backup only that partition, create a system clone like I did before?
Also does it matter if Windows or OSX is the first partition?

I only have 1 750GB HDD.

Regards

ps: i've seen the guide but I want my Windows back as it it now not a fresh installation.

The System Reserved partition contains your boot files. When dual booting on the same HDD it is not possible to have the System reserved partition and expect Win7 to work. You must re-install. Other option is to use aseparate drives - not easy in a laptop unless you can use a caddy tray and do away with the ODD.

The System Reserved partition contains your boot files. When dual booting on the same HDD it is not possible to have the System reserved partition and expect Win7 to work. You must re-install. Other option is to use aseparate drives - not easy in a laptop unless you can use a caddy tray and do away with the ODD.

I thibk that might be an option, I don't use disks anyway. What if you reformat the disk then install OSX, then install Windows and overwrite the Windows partition, with the partition I backed up?

---

Edit; Maybe it works when I create a system image, then I install Windows and then restore the image system I've backed up?

I thibk that might be an option, I don't use disks anyway. What if you reformat the disk then install OSX, then install Windows and overwrite the Windows partition, with the partition I backed up?

---

Edit; Maybe it works when I create a system image, then I install Windows and then restore the image system I've backed up?

No, the problem is the way Windows was installed originally. You have the System reserved partition which contains the boot files and other files needed for system restoration and you have the main Windows OS partition.
When dual booting on the same drive you must install Windows from scratch so you can force the installation of the boot files and system restoration point data to install to the main OS partition.
In order to be able to use an image of the original HDD and restore it to a dual boot drive the way you want, you would have to install Windows on a pre-formatted HDD to ensure the System Reserved partition does not get created.

There is a way to copy the files from the system reserved partition to the main NTFS partition, but it is invloved and requires you to know how to edit the BCD and be able to run command line script. It also requires Windows to have been installed in 4K clusters to be successful. If you have no way to verify that Windows was installed on 4K clusters, trying to copy the files over to the main NTFS partition can result in an unbootable/unrecoverable system.

No, the problem is the way Windows was installed originally. You have the System reserved partition which contains the boot files and other files needed for system restoration and you have the main Windows OS partition.
When dual booting on the same drive you must install Windows from scratch so you can force the installation of the boot files and system restoration point data to install to the main OS partition.
In order to be able to use an image of the original HDD and restore it to a dual boot drive the way you want, you would have to install Windows on a pre-formatted HDD to ensure the System Reserved partition does not get created.

There is a way to copy the files from the system reserved partition to the main NTFS partition, but it is invloved and requires you to know how to edit the BCD and be able to run command line script. It also requires Windows to have been installed in 4K clusters to be successful. If you have no way to verify that Windows was installed on 4K clusters, trying to copy the files over to the main NTFS partition can result in an unbootable/unrecoverable system.

But is the system reservered partition for specific Windows installation? I thouht I can just install windows and then overwrite the Windos partition with a backed up?
i guess I just have to reinstall everything over again then, in the end it should be worthful:)

But is the system reservered partition for specific Windows installation? I thouht I can just install windows and then overwrite the Windos partition with a backed up?
i guess I just have to reinstall everything over again then, in the end it should be worthful:)

When you install on a separate HDD this is possible because the backup and restore can include the System Reserved partition. When you are installing on a hybrid GPT+MBR partition the System Reserved partition is not created, so restoring your backup to the fresh install won't work - the System Reserved partition can't be restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back