CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Note: Thanks @Edhawk for your help.

Preface

macOS Sonoma removed drivers for Broadcom Wi-Fi cards found in Mac models prior to 2017. One of the affected cards is the Fenvi T-919, widely used in Hacks. OCLP developers published a fix that allows these Wi-Fi to work in Sonoma, adding this feature to the root patches that OCLP can apply. In order to apply root patches, OCLP requires macOS to run with some relaxed security features: SecureBootModel disabled and SIP partially disabled. This still represents a certain loss of security in macOS, as some users have noted.
Here I propose a model of Intel Wi-Fi card that by default lacks support in macOS but can be used in Sonoma thanks to the work of the OpenIntelWireless site.

This is the Intel AX210S PCIe WiFi 6E card that can work with regular macOS security conditions without needing to relax Apple Secure Boot or SIP. It may be interesting for those who lack Wi-Fi in Sonoma or for those who want to keep the security of their system without resorting to OCLP patches.

Hardware

The card can be purchased in 2 different ways:
  • fully assembled by Ziyituod and others: WiFi 6E Intel AX210S PCIe
  • in 2 parts, card itself on the one hand (WiFi 6E Intel AX210 NGW Bluetooth Card for Laptop with M.2/NGFF Connector) and adapter on the other (PCIE X1 to M.2/NGFF A+E Key Adapter for WiFi Bluetooth Module).
Ziyituod.png
Card.jpg

Revert OCLP patch and config.plist changes​

If you have been using Fenvi or Broadcom Wi-Fi, you must revert all the settings related to config.plist and OCLP root patch.

In config.plist:
  • disable kexts (IOSkywalk.kext, IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext)
  • disable ``IOSkywalk.kext` blocking
  • change csr-active-config to 00000000
  • change SecureBootModel to a value other than Disabled.
From OpenCore-Patcher (OCLP) >> Post-Install Root Patch >> Revert Root Patches.

Installing wifi module​

The 2 kexts are available on the OpenIntelWireless site. There are 2 ways to install Wi-Fi:
  • itlwm.kext: uses IOEthernetController instead of IO80211Family so the connection spoofs as Ethernet even though it works as wifi. It does not use the macOS Wi-Fi menu, instead you have to use the HeliPort application. On Ventura you need itlwm v2.2.0. On Sonoma you need itlwm v2.3.0.
  • AirportItlwm.kext: uses IO80211Family so it works like the rest of the system's Wi-Fi connections. It provides minimal Continuity features (Handoff and Universal Clipboard, not always available) but cannot connect to hidden networks. No HeliPort needed. On Ventura you need AirportItlwm v2.2.0. On Sonoma prior to 14.4 you need AirportItlwm v2.3.0 for Sonoma 14.0.
Both kexts should not be used at the same time, only one of them. I have tried both and they seem to have worked well. The card is well detected, as you can see in Hackintool.
Hackintool.png
Note: macOS 14.4 has changed parts of the Wi-Fi stack. If you update to this macOS version you must get AirportItlwm v2.3.0 for Sonoma 14.4. All kexts are avalilable in the releases page.

I am using HeliPort from diepeterpan, it is a fork of the original but has performance and interface improvements. From the HeliPort icon in the menu bar you can connect and disconnect Wi-Fi networks as well as set it to be added to the startup items.
Heliport menu 2.png
Installing Bluetooth module

On Monterey and newer you have to install 3 extensions:
  • IntelBTPatcher.kext, requires Lilu 1.6.2 or newer >> fixes a bug in bluetoothd by correctly initializing the bluetooth module.
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext >> load the firmware to the device and set the device name in USB Host Controller to Bluetooth USB Host Controller.
  • BlueToolFixup.kext (available in Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRAM package) >> on macOS Monterey IntelBluetoothInjector.kextstopped working due to changes made by Apple to the Bluetooth stack.
IntelBTPatcher.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext are inside the IntelBluetooth package available in the releases page. Latest version is 2.4.0.

Performance

The Intel wifi card has performance slightly better than the Fenvi with Broadcom. As for the 2 ways to install it, AirportItlwm.kext gives a better score.

Test itlwm.png
Test AirportItlwm.png

Summary

This hardware is a valid option for those who do not have Wi-Fi in Sonoma or do not want to apply OCLP patches. It is not expensive and is easy to install. As a main drawback, the features of the Apple ecosystem are lost (all with itlwm.kext and most with AirportItlwm.kext). Airdrop does not work in any way and this is the feature that I miss the most with respect to the Fenvi.

Last edited:
Great writing!
I decided to go back to Ventura to use the Fenvi T919
though my motherboard has a built-in Intel card
I need those airdrop features at some points so ordered the card

@Detectivepundit
Airdrop is too tempting a temptation. I also use it frequently.

Here's the link to this Ziyituod PCI-e AX210S WIFI/BT card on Amazon.com. For those in the USA that don't use Ali Express. Price is reasonable. Makes it much easier to return it, if need be. You'll get one shipped from Amazon in 3-4 days in the lower 48 states. Already assembled too :thumbup:

Screen Shot 4.jpg

1699711247995.png

Last edited:
I used a separate M.2 WiFi card, the AX210 card linked above but mine was purchased from Amazon in the UK. I already had a PCIe x1 M.2 adapter card, also purchased from Amazon UK, when I tested this Intel WiFi/BT Setup.

Intel AX210 Card (£19.19)

PCIe adapter (£12.59)

Simple to assemble and setup.

The Pre-built card linked by @miliuco may be an easier option, for those who don't want to trouble themselves with connecting the card and adapter.

The separate PCIe x1 M.2 adapter will be more benefit to those who already own a macOS compatible Broadcom or Intel M.2 WiFi/BT card.

@Edhawk @miliuco

Any reasons why an Intel AX411, like this one, would not work? I read one of @Edhawk's post where it says an AX411 might work using the same kext(s).

There is no reason I know of as to why the AX411 wouldn't work with the Airportitlwm or Itlwm kexts.

We just don't have an AX411 card to test, so we can't say that it will work. Saying it might work is as good as it gets, until someone tests the AX411 and tells us differently!

Back