Graphics
Ge Force 9500 GT 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Since I cannot partition my 64GB SSD to allow me to update to Lion, I think that I would need to restart fresh with my Hackintosh. So, I would like to reinstall with my Retail SL DVD with iBoot 3.1.1 (or whatever the latest version is) and update to 10.7.

My media (photos, movies, music) is on a separate HHD that I will not touch during the process and hopefully, I will be able to access my stuff afterwards.

Now, can I jump from 10.6.7 to 10.7 since 10.6.8 has given me a lot of headaches?

The only option left before starting over is to try to update with a USB drive. Does the Tony version work with a USB drive?

Yes.

Instead of selecting your "Installer" partition in xMove, select your USB drive. (Make sure to partition it to Mac OS X Journaled)

rmdashrf said:
Yes.

Instead of selecting your "Installer" partition in xMove, select your USB drive. (Make sure to partition it to Mac OS X Journaled)

Thanks for the information :thumbup: . I will purchase a 8gb usb drive tomorrow and try this over the next few days. I can assume that the process of updating to Lion with a USB will take a lot longer than if I was able to partition my SSD.

Keep in mind, the majority of what xMove does is in the following script:

Code:
2 # script for xMove
  3 # Copyright (C) tonymacx86 LLC 
  5 hdiutil attach /Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Data/InstallESD.dmg
  7 hdiutil attach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
  9 killall Finder
 11 cp -R -p /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/ "${3}/"
 13 rm -R "${3}/System/Installation/Packages"
 15 cp -R -p  /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages "${3}/System/Installati    on/Packages"
 17 cp -R -p /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/mach_kernel "${3}/"
 19 hdiutil detach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/
 21 hdiutil detach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/
(from xMove.pkg/multi.pkg/Scripts)

Essentially, when you first run the "Install Lion" app, it merely copies the important .dmg files to /Mac OS X Install Data . xMove mounts InstallESD.dmg and BaseSystem.dmg and copies over the installation onto your partition (or whatever you specify).

What I am trying to say is that I didn't install it to a USB drive, but looking at the script, it should work with any type of media that is bootable.

rmdashrf said:
Keep in mind, the majority of what xMove does is in the following script:

Code:
2 # script for xMove
  3 # Copyright (C) tonymacx86 LLC 
  5 hdiutil attach /Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Data/InstallESD.dmg
  7 hdiutil attach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
  9 killall Finder
 11 cp -R -p /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/ "${3}/"
 13 rm -R "${3}/System/Installation/Packages"
 15 cp -R -p  /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages "${3}/System/Installati    on/Packages"
 17 cp -R -p /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/mach_kernel "${3}/"
 19 hdiutil detach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/
 21 hdiutil detach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/
(from xMove.pkg/multi.pkg/Scripts)

Essentially, when you first run the "Install Lion" app, it merely copies the important .dmg files to /Mac OS X Install Data . xMove mounts InstallESD.dmg and BaseSystem.dmg and copies over the installation onto your partition (or whatever you specify).

What I am trying to say is that I didn't install it to a USB drive, but looking at the script, it should work with any type of media that is bootable.

so in theory, i should be able to partition my 2tb drive with my media to perform the update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back