Contribute
Register

How to install Clover from a MacBook running Catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H Gaming-v.2603
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I an a newbie, so having trouble building a USB for installing Catalina on a newly formatted USB.
Steps:
  1. Erase USB with recommended options
  2. Run createinstallmedia on MacBook with Catalina (as per Desktop instructions)
  3. swap to a macbook with Mojave, as I can't run the Clover_v2.5k_r5097.pkg on the Catalina laptop
  4. Copy new config.plist and kexts into /EFI/CLOVER on volume called "Install MacOS Catalina" on the USB stick.
  5. Insert USB into Hackintosh, power on, edit BIOS boot Menu to boot from UEFI partition on USB
  6. Reboot just returns to BIOS screen every time

Attachments

• IMG_4439.png
    IMG_4439.png
    14.1 MB · Views: 114
oh - this is a new build - still trying to get a USB that I can boot/install from.

Are you mounting the EFI partition of the USB?
If not installing clover or kexts, drivers is not going to work because you are copying them to a folder called EFI on the Mac system drivea and not the USB's EFI partition.

Use clover configurator to mount the USB efi and have it open it for you in finder

Last edited:
Thanks - I tried that and Clover boots, but it can't see the installer for Catalina, so I don't get any further.
And I can only run the Clover installer on a Mojave macbook, not Catalina macbook, to create the USB - is that normal?

Yes a mojave system can be used to create installer for catalina

Try it in this orderif you have already used createmedia to create the install USB

1 Open clover configurator on real mac
2 Mount USB EFI using clover configurator
It will require you to enter password for user logged onto mac or it won't mount it
3 Use clover to install clover to the USB let it use the latest version it can download
It will start the installer package for you
note versions newer than 5000 have new drivers folder structure follow it as is do not use older driver folder locations
4 copy any kexts and drivers to EFI partition/EFI/Clover
If you need help getting into it use clover configurator to open it for you
It be a folder window with the EFI folder showing
5 Open folder where you have placed kexts or drivers you need to place into clover folder - use a separate finder window
6 make sure as you do the copying kexts or drivers open correct folder for each group of files
uefi drivers are in efi partition/EFI/Clover/Drivers/UEFI
kexts for your hardware in efi partition/EFI/Clover/kexts/other - now some hardware kexts may need to be in
/Library/Extensions but try them in clover kexts folder first

Starting from the USB you must have the correct bios setting for your system
Do not disable second boot device or you wont be able to boot from it
have it plugged in when you enter bios and make sure you pick that device as second it must show UEFI whatever it displays for your usb stick
Example:
first boot device UEFI: Samsung 970 ....
second boot device UEFI: Sandisk USB .....

then use F12 to pick boot device when you restart system.
Also be careful if you have windows 10 on another drive and accidentally boot it, it will modify bios settings if you give it a chance.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm following this, but the SSD is now disappearing from the BIOS, and I still have no option to install the software in the clover screen [Clover now boots!]

Attachments

• IMG_4440.jpg
    IMG_4440.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back