Contribute
Register

How to disable one of the 2 identically named Built-in Line Output audio devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX ver1
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I have this strange question, I have:
1637827703179.png

and if the title from the above carried out to the:
1637827748096.png

Everything would be great and dandy. However, I'm struggling with using one application that is reading my output device name, and it always selects the wrong option.
My question is, if there's a way to differentiate between the two names, or better yet, disable 1 that is not working and is useless anyway?

Regards, and thanks for any suggestions.

The two 'Line In' jacks are normal for any Hack. They will be representing the Front and Rear 'Line In' options on your system. As shown in this screenshot from Hackintool > Sounds > Pin Configuration for the Builtin Realtek Audio codec.

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 17.31.06.png

I would assume the Rear Line In Jack is the one with your speakers connected, so you would want to disable the Front Jack.

Simplest way I can think to remove this from the system would be to disconnect the Case Front Audio cable, which should be connected to your motherboard via an audio header port.

The Audio Header is highlighted on the X299 DESIGNARE EX motherboard image below.

X299 DESIGNARE EX (rev. 1.0).pngX299 DESIGNARE EX (rev. 1.0)motherboard

This would obviously kill the Mic and Line In Case Front jacks on your system.

If that doesn't work;
You probably need to edit the Audio Codec for the Realtek ALC1220 codec used by your system, which will be found within AppleALC.kext.

You would have to manually remove the front Line In jack from AppleALC/Resources/ALCS1220A - having identified the relevant parts that deal with the Layout-ID you use.

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 17.47.43.png Layout-ID's for ALCS1220A codec.

Below is a partial image of the Layout1.xml file, showing the Case front Mic and Line In sections.

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 17.51.03.png AppleALC/Resources/ALCS1220A/layout1.xml, as an example

Removing the Headphones section, or just the <string>LineIn</string> line in the Headphones section, should remove the 2nd Line In jack from your system.

You would need to undertake this change/deletion with the AppleALC.kext source code. You would then need to build the kext with this change included.

The two 'Line In' jacks are normal for any Hack. They will be representing the Front and Rear 'Line In' options on your system. As shown in this screenshot from Hackintool > Sounds > Pin Configuration for the Builtin Realtek Audio codec.

View attachment 541353

I would assume the Rear Line In Jack is the one with your speakers connected, so you would want to disable the Front Jack.

Simplest way I can think to remove this from the system would be to disconnect the Case Front Audio cable, which should be connected to your motherboard via an audio header port.

The Audio Header is highlighted on the X299 DESIGNARE EX motherboard image below.

View attachment 541355X299 DESIGNARE EX (rev. 1.0)motherboard

This would obviously kill the Mic and Line In Case Front jacks on your system.

If that doesn't work;
You probably need to edit the Audio Codec for the Realtek ALC1220 codec used by your system, which will be found within AppleALC.kext.

You would have to manually remove the front Line In jack from AppleALC/Resources/ALCS1220A - having identified the relevant parts that deal with the Layout-ID you use.

View attachment 541356 Layout-ID's for ALCS1220A codec.

Below is a partial image of the Layout1.xml file, showing the Case front Mic and Line In sections.

View attachment 541357 AppleALC/Resources/ALCS1220A/layout1.xml, as an example

Removing the Headphones section, or just the <string>LineIn</string> line in the Headphones section, should remove the 2nd Line In jack from your system.

You would need to undertake this change/deletion with the AppleALC.kext source code. You would then need to build the kext with this change included.
Awesome, thanks for that super detailed response, @Edhawk .
Instead of deleting any portions i'm assuming it's equally possible to just rename the strings to something else and make the identical ports more easily identifiable?

Yes, that is an option.

So instead of ‘Line in‘ renaming it ‘Line in Front’ should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back