CPU
i7-4790k
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First of all, thanks to this great site I have a rock solid machine that I am completely thrilled with! I wanted an OSX server with lots of storage and saved thousands by doing this way.

I have:
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
i5-2400
GTX-460
Intel SSD 330 Boot Drive
HighPoint RocketRaid 2230
6 X 1.5 TB WD Green HDD

Everything is working great but I'd like to see if there is anything else I can do to lower its idle power consumption. I often access it remotely and it is idle 90% of the time, but even though sleep works I don't want to rely on wake on LAN from 1000's of miles away working every time.

Right now it idles at about 75w and runs at about 85 while accessing disks. I don't think that is too bad but would like to get it even lower if I can.

I thought that changing to an IGP would help, so I did some comparing while booted into windows 7. They idle about the same using the GTX460 both with disks idle and spun up. When I pulled out the 460 and ran Win 7 using the HD2000 on the i5 it only saved about 4 watts! I expected more.

I've enabled staggered spin up in the RAID BIOS but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Anything else I should be looking at or is this about it? Maybe an ivy bridge upgrade will make a considerable difference in a few months but everything is working so fabulously that I hate to mess with it!

Thanks again for this awesome site!

Forgot to mention that I'm running 10.7.4 and stepping is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back