CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I was wondering how you guys say "OSX?" I find myself saying OS-"ex" Pronouncing each letter, but I know some of you say OS-"ten." Which is more popular? This poll should answer that question!

EDIT: And apparently the poll didn't show. :banghead:

Hello, I was wondering how you guys say "OSX?" I find myself saying OS-"ex" Pronouncing each letter, but I know some of you say OS-"ten." Which is more popular? This poll should answer that question!

EDIT: And apparently the poll didn't show. :banghead:

The correct way to say it, according to Apple, is OS-"ten". I also find myself wanting to say OS-"ex" though since acronyms are almost always pronounced by the letters they contain.

Dil83

The correct way to say it, according to Apple, is OS-"ten". I also find myself wanting to say OS-"ex" though since acronyms are almost always pronounced by the letters they contain.

Dil83

That is very true usually acronyms are said by their letters however it is OS X not OSX. So you see OS is an acronym X is a roman numeral. If you look at all of Apple's spelling there is ALWAYS a space between OS and X.

That is very true usually acronyms are said by their letters however it is OS X not OSX. So you see OS is an acronym X is a roman numeral. If you look at all of Apple's spelling there is ALWAYS a space between OS and X.

Yes you are right, there is always a space between OS and X. It's also obvious that since Apple came out with OS X after OS 9 that the X is the Roman Numeral "Ten". Since numbers are mostly represented with our more modern numbering system on a daily basis, when I look at OS X, I tend to want to pronounce it by the letters. I think that's also why many others want to pronounce the X as "ex" and not "Ten" like it should be.

Good point though, the title of this thread really should be "How do you say "OS X"? since that is how it is always represented.

Dil83

I'm more asking how your personally say it.

I say OS -ex, with german pronunciation (Sounds "icks"), never "OS-ten" or in german "OS-zehn"; it has got to with the "X" in UNIX why this is chosen.

Most of the time I just say "on Mac OS" or "on the Mac". If I need to be specific, then it's "ten point eight point three"

I still remember the days of Macintosh System 7.5. We've been on OS X for a while, I wonder what'll happen after Mac OS 10.9, will they go to 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 etc or finally move to OS 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back